DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Atlanta: Crime on public transit falls after Right-to-Carry ban is lifted (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45089)

sincebeen 12-15-2009 12:34 PM

Atlanta: Crime on public transit falls after Right-to-Carry ban is lifted

Atlanta: Crime on public transit falls after Right-to-Carry ban is lifted

The Georgia General Assembly passed HB 89 in 2008, which made criminal prohibitions on carrying firearms on public transportation, in restaurants that serve alcohol, in state parks, and in wildlife management areas inapplicable to Georgians possessing a firearms license. HB 89 took effect on July 1, 2008, and many predicted mass bloodshed as a result. Nowhere was the controversy so acute as the city of Atlanta and its public transportation system. So at the end of 2009, it is worth a look to see what actually happened to crime rates on MARTA. Since July of 2008, there have been no news stories of blazing gun battles on MARTA, which would surely have been newsworthy events. That leaves interested researchers with the publicly available crime rates, and they tell a story at odds with the hysterical predictions of 2008.

Read About It: The Examiner

:cowb:

MightyBlueRam 12-16-2009 02:00 PM

That's what I'm talking about!

RamTech 12-16-2009 02:03 PM

If guns are outlawed...how's that go again?

deanthecrabman 12-17-2009 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 120114)
If guns are outlawed...how's that go again?

Ban stays in effect unless you have a concealed carry permit.

Anyone remember Archie Bunker's solution to the hijackings in the 70's? Pass out pistols to everyone as they get on the plane, and collect them when they get off! Who in their right mind would try to hijack the plane then?

Incognito 12-20-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanthecrabman (Post 120758)
Ban stays in effect unless you have a concealed carry permit.

Anyone remember Archie Bunker's solution to the hijackings in the 70's? Pass out pistols to everyone as they get on the plane, and collect them when they get off! Who in their right mind would try to hijack the plane then?

Holy crap, passing out pistols to everyone? Sheeeit, that'd be some crazy ass plane ride.

CajunDodge 12-20-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 121933)
Holy crap, passing out pistols to everyone? Sheeeit, that'd be some crazy ass plane ride.

Better a crazy plane ride than a real life Con-Air, only with terrorists who aren't restrained....:smiley_thumbs_up:

- Cajun :pepper:

Incognito 12-21-2009 03:09 AM

I'm not too sure how things like that work in the United States. I thought the right to bear arms was only in your own home. Being able to walk around in public with a firearm is crazy. Makes someone think twice before trying to rob you.

CajunDodge 12-21-2009 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incognito (Post 122386)
I'm not too sure how things like that work in the United States. I thought the right to bear arms was only in your own home. Being able to walk around in public with a firearm is crazy. Makes someone think twice before trying to rob you.

Honestly, I'm not sure how it works, and I live here haha, as it varies from state to state, sometimes city to city as to what the gun carrying laws are. I actually had to call the Louisiana State Police before I moved out here to see how I needed to carry my gun in my vehicle, concealed vs. plain sight as I didn't have a license out here. However, it would be nice to think that if everyone thought everyone else was packing some heat, that it might actually act as a deterrent to would be criminals. Works in theory, but that's about all. :)

4X HEMI 12-21-2009 07:05 AM

I forget what city it was, I'm thinking it was in Florida many years ago, they made a city ordinance that residents had to carry firearms. Of course the news media had a frenzy with this about how crime will be worse then ever before and so on.

Well, they went back to this city 1 year later and ended up that the crime rate in this town dropped something like 97%! Guess the news media was not very good at eating crow. Seems the criminals probably figured there chances of getting shot were much higher in this city since everyone carried firearms and stayed away from it.

CajunDodge 12-21-2009 08:31 PM

Hasn't there been talk of doing this in other places, ordinances similar to that one, a bit more recently? Seems I heard something about that.....All I can say is fine with me! :smileup: