DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Is switching to Royal Purple really worth my time and money? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45096)

MoparGuy86 12-15-2009 03:22 PM

Is switching to Royal Purple really worth my time and money?

I've been thinking about switching all my fluids to Royal Purple, Motor, Trans, Rear & Front end, But I'm Wondering if its really worth all the time and money, and what the "real" world benifits are worth. I live in MO so the summers can get hot and the winters can get cold, and who knows what is going to happen in the spring and fall lol, but I know it would be expensive to do so I'm not sure if i want to drop the money on it yet. For those of you who don't already know I've got a 99 1500 with the 5.9 and i have done a manifold back exhaust, superchips programmer (91 tune), and accel cap and rotor (soon to have accel plugs n wires and headers and CAI)
Let me know how RP has worked out for you, or if you have had problems with it. (I herd one story of it blowing up a guys motor!)

dodgeman70592 12-15-2009 03:41 PM

I use RP throughout the truck, worth every penny IMO. Truck seems to run much smoother in harsher enviroments (really cold or hot) RP hasnt let me down yet.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-15-2009 10:01 PM

I run Amsoil . Been a Amsoil user for years now . Love it .

CdnoilRAM 12-15-2009 11:07 PM

Switching over to any high quality synthetic is worth it. The longevity of your parts alone is worth the cost since it lubricates better, which in turns means they run cooler (normally) and reduces wear. The class IV synthetics like RP and Amsoil don't break down as quickly so you don't need to change them as quickly as regular class II synthetics. I run full Amsoil in mine and highly recommend the switch.

MoparGuy86 12-15-2009 11:07 PM

Ive only recently herd of amsoil. Is it just engine oil, or do they have oil for everything, and where do i get it? And what is the price difference compared to RP?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-15-2009 11:14 PM

Amsoil is available for everything in your truck . www.amsoil.com

MoparGuy86 12-16-2009 12:49 PM

I'm just a little nervous about switching because when i did in my s10 afterwards there was always the smell of burnt oil everytime It was running, but there was none on the engine or no leaks, just a smell. And that was going to valvoline full syn.

dirtsurferus 12-16-2009 08:40 PM

royal purple is a great switch. but it is expensive. I have found that it is the cheaper of the two when it comes to amsoil vs RP. I like RP better because the fluids that you have to change most often (motor oil and rear and front end) you can buy at advanced auto or auto zone being that they are the most common to leak. i have not done tranny fluid swap to RP yet though because i just had my transmission rebuilt and don't want to void my warranty.

MoparGuy86 12-16-2009 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtsurferus (Post 120263)
royal purple is a great switch. but it is expensive. I have found that it is the cheaper of the two when it comes to amsoil vs RP. I like RP better because the fluids that you have to change most often (motor oil and rear and front end) you can buy at advanced auto or auto zone being that they are the most common to leak. i have not done tranny fluid swap to RP yet though because i just had my transmission rebuilt and don't want to void my warranty.

Are you saying that RP is prone to leak, or just that motor and front/rear ends in general are?

dirtsurferus 12-16-2009 08:47 PM

i'm saying that if there is something that is going to leak it is more likely that it is going to be the motor oil or front/rear end oil compared to the tranny fluid. be aware though, this stuff is not cheap. i have the 9.25 rear end and it took over $100 to change the fluid in both differentials.