DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Axle on the frame (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45123)

jgorilla 12-15-2009 10:57 PM

Axle on the frame

after i got the rear end fliped it was so low that the frame is on the axle. what are my options to get a little better ride. it will almost shake the teeth out of your head when you hit bumps in the road. would c notching the frame and maybe air shocks do the trick? or helper springs? i am open to any suggestions.

RamTech 12-15-2009 11:00 PM

C-notching is really the only option if you want to maintain the current ride height. Adding springs is useless if the axle is already on the frame.

jgorilla 12-18-2009 08:16 PM

i put air shocks on it today and it helped the problem. i didnt have the tools to c notch or the money to pay to have it done. my next purchase will be wheels and tires. i was looking for 20" steelies so i could paint them to match my truck( when i get the body work done and take it to mayco) what do you think?

TenneSST 12-18-2009 09:16 PM

For occasional use, the air shocks sound like the trick. I'd still save up for a good set of front lowering springs, lowering shocks all around, and a C-notch.

The 20" steel wheels would probably look killer. I'm kinda tired of all the "blinged out" chrome wheels.

strang3majik 12-27-2009 03:07 AM

haha...my dad has the 20" steels on his pace truck (in sig below)...he's keeping them black though, for that race truck appearance :p

Also, if you want your truck to ride smoother, take a leaf or two out...only problem is, it will lower your truck more.

GregInAtl 12-27-2009 02:56 PM

gotta c-notch, everything else is a band aid.

CdnoilRAM 12-28-2009 03:21 AM

Yup. if it's on the axle, aside from 'bagging it for ride height, you need to C-notch it.

GregInAtl 12-28-2009 07:56 PM

and dont be scared of the notch, I tow a 21' boat regularly w/ mine, load it w/ crap at home depot and make it work....not a hiccup so far!
I have bags to raise it up a few inches to tow, but the frame notch is solid!

ramit04 01-10-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 119910)
C-notching is really the only option if you want to maintain the current ride height. Adding springs is useless if the axle is already on the frame.

agreed for sure!! nothing you can do really but c-notch it. And do it right, i've seen people around here try and rig C-notch's and they turn out HORRIBLE

GregInAtl 01-10-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramit04 (Post 132983)
agreed for sure!! nothing you can do really but c-notch it. And do it right, i've seen people around here try and rig C-notch's and they turn out HORRIBLE

I cant imagine how this could happen; A frame notch kit w/ bolt in plates is so easy to do, why would anyone botch the job and do something 1/2 way regarding the frame?! People amaze me.