DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help me buy my new truck. INFO NEEDED! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45152)

sahara7638 12-16-2009 09:54 PM

Help me buy my new truck. INFO NEEDED!

Ok so I am looking into buying a 05-06 Ram 2500 quad cab short bed. This will be a daily driver truck. I am just looking into the diesel because of the power potential, and I ocasionaly tow a skid steer on a trailer and a boat. I would just like to know a few things to look out for. I am also considering the 2500 silverado with the allison trans. I have heard alot of bad things about the auto trannys, not to mention I had to put one in my 95 ram 1500 with the 5.9 gas motor in it. Another question is how is the power in these trucks from the factory, specificaly how is the take off and excelleration. What can I expect for factory fuel mileage? How much doese a decent tuner cost and what kind of gains can I expect?

RamTech 12-16-2009 10:01 PM

I can tell you that the transmissions in the trucks you're looking at are a far cry from what was put in them 10 years ago. Personally, I like the '06 with the 5.9L Cummins because they're bulletproof in stock form and you can tune the bejeezus out of them.

vorstang 12-16-2009 10:10 PM

i have a 2007 with the 6.7 and i love it. plenty of power, and i love the engine brake. milage is good too. i see 21 hwy, all stock

RamTech 12-16-2009 10:15 PM

The 6.7 is a fine engine IF you use it right. The problems we're seeing with it are mostly owner induced. Extended idling, not working the engine, not using the engine brake, and not using ultra low sulpher fuel are the big no-no's for this engine.

sahara7638 12-16-2009 11:44 PM

Thats all good and fine but i am not looking at the 6.7. I am looking into the 5.9 in the 2005-2006 trucks what can you tell me about those vehicles?

RamTech 12-16-2009 11:57 PM

We haven't had any major issues with any of the DH series Rams at our dealership. The 5.7 is a very reliable engine but does cost a little more to maintain because of its 7 qt oil capacity and 16 spark plugs. The skid steer might make it work a little, but you'll hardly notice the boat unless it's something big. There's plenty of upgrade potential if you want to get a little more out of it.

sahara7638 12-17-2009 12:05 AM

Who said any thing about a hemi? If i wanted a gas motor I would buy a chevy hands down. We're talking the 5.9 cummins diesel in a 05-06 nothing else. How bad are the trans missions in this year range? Anything like my old 95? If so I would NEVER even think about buying another.

BubbaDuss 12-17-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sahara7638 (Post 120429)
Who said any thing about a hemi? If i wanted a gas motor I would buy a chevy hands down. We're talking the 5.9 cummins diesel in a 05-06 nothing else. How bad are the trans missions in this year range? Anything like my old 95? If so I would NEVER even think about buying another.

Well, I have an 05 Dually in stock trim, or what I assume is stock trim. I bought it used in May.

I went from a 96 2500 5.9L Magnum. to the 3500 5.9L diesel and its a night and day difference.

my 2500 would keep abouts 16 highway, unloaded. 12-13 hauling ~6k pounds.
my 3500 with the diesel sees 17-18 city and i like to keep it at 23 highway or so. good 71 MPH cruising.

but in stock trim, there is enough torque to light up all 4 tires in back. My truck has 75K miles on it and the tranny seems fine.

you can get a diablo predator for ~$360 with 3 different tunes in it, but the stock tranny might not take the +160 TQ tune for to long.

all in all.
I love my 5.9. No issues so far. :smileup:

P.S.:
My 96 had tranny slip issues and leaky seals. this truck feels so much more connected. I think the tranny's of today have long since graduated from the tranny's of the mid 90's.

erm 12-17-2009 09:02 AM

No comparison between the early first gen and relatively new second gen powertrains, sahara.

I have a close acquaintance who runs an '05 2500, has 110K on it already, he's juiced it up a bit with a Bully Dog and a few other enhancements (lift, 33's, etc...) and he hauls a fairly large trailer every day and his toys on the weekends.

He hammers this truck and it's still going strong. He hasn't had any major issues with it.

Another acquaintance of mine, a general contractor, wishes he could run that range of year trucks all the time. He doesn't like the new emissions equipment on the newer trucks, and feels they are down on power. He prefers the 04 05 06 trucks over the earlier models and the later models. He puts a LOT of miles on his trucks before he turns them over and they are constantly running. He's been doing the general contractor/large civil and dirtwork projects for over 20 years and most of his work area is unimproved roads out in the middle of nowhere. He recycles his trucks within his fleet and eventually they just wear down so he sells them and gets some new ones.

I think you've picked a good model year for your truck

sahara7638 12-18-2009 12:25 AM

I really want the ram but I am just so iffy on the transmission issue. at most it will get a programmer and tow nothing heavier than a 20ft alumicraft boat. I just do not have the money to dump on a trans going out. That is why I am considering the 2500hd chevy as well with the allison trans.