DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Brake light on (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45264)

rwillis 12-19-2009 10:29 PM

Brake light on

Parked my truck this afternoon, came back out and started it up and the dash "brake" light and the ABS light was on. Looked under and saw no leaks, brakes still working. Got suggestions?
RW

erm 12-19-2009 10:33 PM

It might be a bad sensor. Try clearing the code and running the truck again.

rwillis 12-19-2009 11:58 PM

How do I clear the code. I don't have a reader. Is there another way?

erm 12-20-2009 12:11 AM

hmmm....never had to clear a code on my truck. Let me look at the fuse box arrangement...I have an idea...brb...

erm 12-20-2009 12:27 AM

OK.

As you may know, most major chain auto parts stores (Pep Boys, AutoZone, Schuck's, etc...) will read and clear codes for you at no charge.

On my 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 I can clear a code by pulling fuse 11, the "AutoShutOff/PCM" fuse. It will clear the code and if it's a momentary sensor glitch, it won't come back. If it's a real problem, the CEL will light up again.

So, I think it may be possible to do something similar with the RAM. I read through my Ram Owner's Manual to see if there wasn't a similar fuse. I don't see one that clearly translates into the same thing on our trucks.

Your '98 fuse box arrangement will be pretty much the same as my '99 so here's something you can try. Open the fuse box panel. It's on the driver's side of dash, on the side next to the door frame. Find fuse position 3. This is the ABS fuse. It's a red 10 amp fuse.

Pull it and inspect it. If it's blown, replace.

It it's not, pull it and wait about 60 seconds. Then reinsert and start the truck. See if your ABS light comes on again.

If that doesn't work, next step would be to pull fuse 9. This is also a red 10 amp fuse and is for the engine controller.

Inspect the fuse and replace if necessary. Turn on the truck again and check for the ABS light.

Lastly, you can disconnect your battery positive cable for a couple of minutes, then reconnect and start the truck.

If the ABS light does not come back on after any of these steps but comes on again later, I'd suspect you have a bad ABS sensor or a connection to one is corroded and needs to be replaced.

Excoastie 12-20-2009 08:19 AM

I know that this should be obvious... have you checked the level of your brake fluid?
Sometimes the light will indicate that the fluid is low.... not sure how that would effect the ABS, but it's a thought

Exco

bones64 12-20-2009 08:52 AM

:4-dontknow:Not sure about the ABS light but i did bump my parking brake pedal a while ago that made light the brake light come on. I fouled with it and the light went out. Seems to be sensitive.:4-dontknow:

RamTech 12-20-2009 10:06 AM

Just for info, I've recently read that most parts stores are no longer offering free scanning because of a class action law suit for misdiagnosis. Not surprising really when you consider that when most people see a code for a particular component they immediately condemn it without running any diagnostics on it first..

rwillis 12-20-2009 05:49 PM

I didn't put it in my original post but I did check levels and parking brake first. Then I looked for leaks and found none. I will try to suggestions to clear the code and then let you know what I find.
thanks for the help!
RW

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-20-2009 08:56 PM

Could be rear axle speed sensor .