DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Whats next? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45271)

06hemiramm 12-20-2009 01:31 AM

Whats next?

hey guys, i have a 06 reg cab short bed. so far i started with exhaust and had a custon cat back done, then k n intake, and a superchip. what should i look at next as far as power is concerned? also where do you think im at now with what i have done? thanks guys!

erm 12-20-2009 01:37 AM

Well, maybe consider selling the superchip and getting a DiabloSport Predator would be one great move.

Next, thing about some headers and high flow cats.

After that, it's time for a cam swap and some head work.

Or, go forced induction, such as going with a Kenne Bell supercharger kit.

You've added around 30 HP at the crank with the mods you have now. That's just a guess as I am not sure what program you are running with the Superchips or what the tuning parameters of that tool is.

Good luck with the mods!

CHILLZ HEMI 12-20-2009 07:41 AM

If your not looking to do the internals, I would go with a Supercharger setup that is good with the stock ones....You can easily gain 150+ HP with a Pro Charger Kit, which included the SC, the piping, intercooler, proper fuel injectors and fuel pump, and the Diablosport Programmer that is programed to 8-9psi...They have an opitional 8psi pulley kit, and optional polisehd SC too....And the best thing is that its specially designed for our HEMI trucks...With your truck you could see about 500HP with this setup with proper tuning.....Although it will set you back a bit, but its a great deal I think for the power gain, and whats included....:smileup:

bones64 12-20-2009 07:48 AM

:wavey: I would go with some headers and a C.A.I myself to start, just me.

Incognito 12-20-2009 08:31 AM

I'd let it breathe a lot better. Full exhaust from a reputable manufacturer. Then go with a CAI, unless you plan to go with forced induction later on. Have a good tuner as well. Don't forget to go with quality tires. Producing power is nothing if you have no traction.

06hemiramm 12-20-2009 12:54 PM

not really looking to go into the motor as this is my daily driver. i do have a cold air intake, its a k & n. why ditch the super chip for the diablo? why is it that much better? i felt like the super chip made a huge! difference, and not really looking to go forced induction, altought i would love to! whats a procharger kit cost anyways? not that id ever be able to afford it :) anything else i could do that hasnt been mentioned?

Incognito 12-21-2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06hemiramm (Post 122000)
not really looking to go into the motor as this is my daily driver. i do have a cold air intake, its a k & n. why ditch the super chip for the diablo? why is it that much better? i felt like the super chip made a huge! difference, and not really looking to go forced induction, altought i would love to! whats a procharger kit cost anyways? not that id ever be able to afford it :) anything else i could do that hasnt been mentioned?

I've seen so many supercharger manufacturers building kits for our trucks, and they're all in the $3,000+ range. Also, STS builds a twin turbo kit if you're interested in going with twin turbos rather than a supercharger. But they're expensive as well. But since you're not really interested in forced induction, I'd look at replacing your gearing if you want more "off the line" performance.

CHILLZ HEMI 12-21-2009 06:55 AM

Yeah the procharger kits costs $5200, but for everything they provide and the outcome, i think its worth it...But the superchip is fine i believe if your not going FI, the Diablo I think has a more precise tune for people with FI and gives you more options...But since your not wanting to do that, I would stick to the basic upgrades like headers, cuz you said you already have an exhaust, tuner and CAI, so thats pretty much it unless you go to the internals and/or FI...

06hemiramm 12-21-2009 11:12 AM

so then headers possibly? who all makes them for our trucks and what do they cost?

Bobcat06 12-21-2009 11:51 AM

There are quite a few more things you can do without going FI, given they won't give you huge gains, but every little bit helps doesn't it. I agree with above, headers and changing your gears to your specific wants would be best. Also you can go with an electric cooling fan, 180 degree thermostat, and lower resistance spark plug wires. And if you wanted some major power boost occasionally, adding 100 shot of nitrous would give you what you want.