DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   4.56 Gears (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45440)

90s13dude 12-23-2009 10:28 PM

4.56 Gears

Okay so I have been searching on the forums and I keep hearing that the first thing I need to do is upgrade the gears. First I would like to ask where the heck I would find them. The only thing that pops up when I search is referring to 4wd or ebay both of which do not pertain to me as I dont have a 4wd and am not comfortable buying something like this off ebay. Your help is appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

RamTech 12-23-2009 10:43 PM

Ugrade the gears for what reason?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-24-2009 01:35 AM

Chris what are your intentions with your truck ? Some guys here change their gears for better performance . If your having no real issues , I wouldn't do a thing .

RamTech 12-24-2009 01:38 AM

Agreed. Especially when you consider what a drastic change a 4.56 will be if you have stock size rubber. Kiss your mediocre gas mileage goodbye! For that kind of money you can add parts that will yield much more bang for the buck, not to mention increased fuel economy.

4X HEMI 12-24-2009 09:16 AM

I agree! Why do you have to upgrade your gears? I did mine but I am running 37's on a 4x4, that is usually when people start upgrading gears, when you start going with much bigger tires. I wouldn't know why you would have to do this with a 2 wheel drive.

RamTech 12-24-2009 09:52 AM

Unless you're drag racing, there really isn't a reason to. I don't think I know anyone with 35's or smaller that swapped gears on their 4X4's

CdnoilRAM 12-24-2009 12:57 PM

There are a few reasons to upgrade gears, that's if you need serious towing torque, up sized tires, or drag racing. Now, if you still want to do it, then go to a local gear shop and they'll hook you up with the gears. There was a guy on here that did a full swap, but for some reason I can't find the thread.

Robusmcs13 12-27-2009 07:56 PM

depending on what year you have, the newer trans has a very low ratio, I have an 08 2wd 4.7 with 4.10s and its perfect with the stock 17's with 265/60/17(about 30.5 inches) at 70 mph I'm running right below 2000 rpm.
I would have went with 4.56's cuz i will be putting on 35" tires but I read somewhere that some people have issues with harmonic resonance and such due to the 2wd having a longer drive shaft. In my opinion its well worth the money just have a reputable shop with lots of experience install them(not a dealership they dont know how to measure aftermarket).
I got my truetrac and gears from Nick at airram.com and I couldnt be happier, Nick helped me alot and really knows his stuff.
Hope this helps, everyone has something to say but first hand experience is always the best

Robusmcs13 12-27-2009 08:08 PM

oh my truck is a quad cab too you will have different results with a regular cab

will 01-09-2010 03:28 PM

Well Dont do a 4.56 unless you have 35'' heavy ass tires and rims tht weigh over 100lbs each. There is no replacement for displacement. Don't over gear your truck, I would suggest to you some 3.91/2(?) unshure of chrysler size, or some 4.10's at most. The bigger your gear ration the faster your drive shaft will spin.

Sure it will be fun when you do gear though, best bang for the buck when it comes to acceleration.