DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Newbie Checkin! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New Guy needs some help on a 5.2L 2000 Ram 1500 w/towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45455)

jmocallaghan 12-24-2009 09:30 AM

New Guy needs some help on a 5.2L 2000 Ram 1500 w/towing

Guys, I am new to this forum and am trying to find out if anyone has some information on how to improve the towing performance of my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 that has a 5.2L engine. It is a 2WD and has 139K miles on it approximately. We tow a 3500lbs trailer and a 2000 lbs horse in it.

I am lacking power on this puppy but I dont want to go out and buy a new truck by any means. I love it and have had it for about 10 yrs now. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-24-2009 09:36 AM

Glad you joined us and welcome to the Z for Rams from Baltimore . If you could go to the top of the page to the User Cp and complete your profile that would be great . Helps us see what you have when your posting a question . What kind of problems ? Holding the weight of the trailer , pulling ability etc... Any pictures of your truck ? Any mods done or plans for future mods ? Any of your friends have Rams ? Tell them about us . We would love to have them . You will find this site is full of a lot of talented people . So if theres any question that you need answered , just shoot away . Talk to ya soon . Tom

RamTech 12-24-2009 09:42 AM

a 2000 lb horse? What have you got, a Percheron?

bones64 12-24-2009 09:51 AM

:wavey:Hello and welcome to the forum family.

erm 12-24-2009 11:21 AM

Intake and exhaust, a programmer and maybe some taller gears in the diff would help.

Beyond that, it's time to get into the motor for heads & cam unless you wanna add some forced induction. But that's gonna be putting a stock motor not build for it at risk.

Welcome to the forum!

RamTech 12-24-2009 11:34 AM

There's no substitute for cubic inches! I'd be tempted to shop for a low mileage 5.9 and do a swap. A gear swap would help, but your fuel economy will get worse. If you run unloaded a lot, it may not be worth it in the long run. Do you know what gears you currently have? If you have the 3.21 swapping to a 3.92 might be worthwhile, but anything taller than that probably won't be.

erm 12-24-2009 11:35 AM

I'm gonna take a 5.9L Magnum engine and make it into a 408 forged stroker...that will move a trailer and big horse!

red041500 12-24-2009 11:42 AM

how about a lighter trailer and feed that horse some slim fast..... all kidding aside sounds like you might be workin that ram alittle harder than it was intended. alot of good advise above but also a extremely large transmission cooler is needed and a oil cooler also wouldnt hurt.

i know you said your not lookin to buy a new truck but i tow four sleds with my 09 ram 1500 and i just mover the same trailer with my buddies cummins ram...... wow im hooked on diesels , talk about a work horse , most of the time i forgot the trailer was even back there.

CdnoilRAM 12-24-2009 11:43 AM

Welcome to the Z! The other guys have hit the nail on the head. For basic bolt ons the CAI, exhaust, and tuner will give you the best bang for the buck. After that a set of long tube headers to give you some low down torque to get you rolling. A higher gear ratio will really help, but don't expect your wallet to love you if you use this as a daily driver too.

kwatson 12-24-2009 12:10 PM

YES, lower gears will really help with towing and also help your transmission live longer by taking a lot of the strain off it.
Don't forget to recalibrate your speedometer afterwards.