DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Product Reviews (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   I Wouldn't Put This Crap In A Lawnmower! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45459)

RamTech 12-24-2009 12:29 PM

I Wouldn't Put This Crap In A Lawnmower!

Okay, I think it's time to put up a list of products to avoid and why we should avoid them. The top of my list is Quaker State oil. I've seen too many QS engines with massive amounts of sludge in them and I know it for a fact from the receipts from the oil changes.

MADDOG 12-24-2009 12:34 PM

Great idea!

Be very careful of putting in "Bars Leak" or other such radiator leak sealant. You can't run the engine with this indefinitely. It's only a temporary measure until you can pull the radiator and correctly repair a leak. If you continue to use it, you'll foul/plug engine water passages and eventually you'll have the cooling problem from HELL!

RamTech 12-24-2009 12:36 PM

Same goes for Alumaseal! I've found that plain old ground black pepper works without causing those problems.

CdnoilRAM 12-24-2009 01:38 PM

My personal peev is the canned tire sealants. When swapping out tires you get that powder inside that is actually carcinogenic or if it's the silicone based ones then that dust/vapor can give tire junkies silicosis if they handle it for long periods of time. If people put it in and don't tell the service department that they did then there's no way the tech can protect themselves. I'm big on resperatory protection in my industry and I believe it should carry over into other industries since everyone needs protection.

MADDOG 12-24-2009 01:47 PM

Right on, CDN...I've used the sealant just to get me where I can get the tire fixed. I know the shops hate the stuff but for the driver, it's better than sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a tow.

Of course, if you carry a spare, use that. My Impala SS didn't have room for a full size spare, the standard small spare didn't fit over the brake calipers and my 300 SRT8 has the same problem.

Get Bit 12-24-2009 01:51 PM

Pennzoil is the same crap as QS. I will never run either of them.

RamTech 12-24-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 124179)
Right on, CDN...I've used the sealant just to get me where I can get the tire fixed. I know the shops hate the stuff but for the driver, it's better than sitting on the side of the road, waiting for a tow.

Of course, if you carry a spare, use that. My Impala SS didn't have room for a full size spare, the standard small spare didn't fit over the brake calipers and my 300 SRT8 has the same problem.

I'm ok with people using it as a temp fix. I even carry a bottle of green slime in my truck. People that leave it in the tires permanently are the ones that piss me off.

Kens04 12-24-2009 02:18 PM

I bought a Husky air compressor at the Depot for 20 bucks and a tire plug kit, Ive never needed a can of fix-a-flat or use my spare in over 5 years. Just wanted to add to the tire thing...not thread jack.

Stay away from slick 50 and other oil additives? Right...can someone confirm?

RamTech 12-24-2009 02:22 PM

I'm not big on additives, especially in MDS engines.

jkulysses 12-24-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 124146)
Okay, I think it's time to put up a list of products to avoid and why we should avoid them. The top of my list is Quaker State oil. I've seen too many QS engines with massive amounts of sludge in them and I know it for a fact from the receipts from the oil changes.

Pennzoil and QS are owned and manufactured by the same company and I wont run either one of them. I've been running Supertech for years though and never had any complaints. Last time I checked it was made by Valvoline for Wal-Mart but that could've changed by now I'm not sure.