DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Knowledge Base (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Chrysler Policy On Fluid Flushing (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45500)

RamTech 12-25-2009 07:32 AM

Chrysler Policy On Fluid Flushing

There seems to be a lot of questions regarding various fluid flushes. The following is Chryslers policy on flushing.

Chrysler Group vehicle fluid systems do
NOT require regular flushing. These systems
include: engine oil, transmission oil, axle lube, brake fluid, power steering fluid, and
refrigerant. The only exception to this requirement are published in the vehicle
maintenance schedules, e.g. engine coolant.

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has
occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated
beyond the normal operating range.

Chrysler Group does
NOT recommend aftermarket chemicals to flush the engine,
transmission, brake or steering systems. Chemicals contained in these products can
damage the system elastomeric components, and contaminate the component fluid,
leading to loss of system/component durability and service life. When necessary, only the original approved system fluid should be used to flush these components using teamPSEŽ approved equipment.

If the engine coolant contains a considerable amount of sediment, clean and flush with
Mopar Cooling System Flush, p/n 04856977, or equivalent. Follow with a thorough rinsing to remove all deposits and chemicals. Refill with a minimum of a 50% mixture of the specified coolant and distilled water.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-25-2009 12:01 PM

Not many people do the distilled water bit . It's inexpensive and can be purchased at any pharmacy . Thats what I put in my rides .

RamTech 12-25-2009 01:01 PM

I've also seen it in some grocery stores with the bottled water.

deanthecrabman 12-25-2009 01:20 PM

Our tap water in Florida comes from an enormous limestone sponge called the Flordan Aquifer. Talk about hard! Fewer ions in the water mean less electrolysis to corrode your system. I can usually get distilled(not drinking) or deionized water for about 75 cents a gallon. Pretty cheap insurance.

MightyBlueRam 12-25-2009 03:39 PM

So if I go in for maintenance, I shouldn't let the service advisor talk me into getting the different flushes unless it's the radiator flush? Because I asked about this in another thread a few weeks ago and I seemed to understand that it was a good idea to do the flushes. I'm not very mechanically inclined so please keep it simple lol.

RamTech 12-25-2009 04:15 PM

It's a good idea to do them when the service schedule in the owners manual manual recommends it. Personally, I do all mine every 30K but bear in mind I work in a dealership and can do it quickly, easily and at a significantly reduced cost.

CajunDodge 12-25-2009 10:04 PM

THANK YOU Remerson for clearing this up and I'm not being a wise a** when I say that!!! Seriously, I personally appreciate the clarification, as I'm running out of creative ways to tell people I know, this is NOT required unless otherwise specified. Now they don't just have to take my word for it, I have written proof! Good post!!! :rep:

- Cajun :pepper:

RamTech 12-25-2009 10:09 PM

My pleasure. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I could post in the knowledge base, so toss me some ideas!

CajunDodge 04-28-2010 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 124897)
My pleasure. I'm sure there are plenty of other things I could post in the knowledge base, so toss me some ideas!

Ok, well it took me a while haha, but there is something I would like some more information/clarification on. Perhaps, when you have a moment, could you start a thread in here giving the run down on the TIPM and/or how it relates to a CAN-bus system? I have been doing some reading, and I think I understand how each works, but I have not come across anything that ties the two together? Also, is there a list of Chrysler vehicles that use this setup and maybe a TIPM schematic/diagram? Not trying to threadjack, but I remembered you asking if there were any other ideas you could discuss and this is not a section in which I have enough knowledge to start a new thread lol, so I posted this here for that reason. Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you! :)

- Cajun

RamTech 04-28-2010 07:36 AM

I'll start a thread in the knowledge base when I get a chance. Hopefully today.