DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Daytime Running Lights (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45635)

Big Daddy 12-29-2009 12:11 AM

Daytime Running Lights

There's a thread in the General Discussion forum that jogged my mind about something I've been wanting to ask but I didn't want to hijack that thread so I'm throwing it out here.

Is there a way to re-program the computer to have daytime running lights like the Canadian models?

Asking that I'm assuming the daytime runners shine at a lower output than the standard low beams. If it's not possible to easily change the U.S. models or if the Dodge daytimers don't shine at a lower output then I've got the solution by just taping over the sensor and leave the switch on auto. I've done enough miles in my life that I like daytimers for seeing others and for being seen so I hope to be able to get them working.

Thanks,

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-29-2009 12:18 AM

Sounds like a question for Randy . I'm sure once he sees it , he'll respond .

GTyankee 12-29-2009 12:39 AM

DRL in the USA, i was told that there was no way to get them to work, seems the Canadian computers are different mod than ours, thats why i covered my sensor. my business requires that the lights be on while with an Over dimensional Load, & with more & more Safety Corridors requiring headlights 24/7, i hope that someone writes some new software

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-29-2009 12:42 AM

They should start asking you at the time of purchase what you want activated . Might be something the dealerships should consider .

RamTech 12-29-2009 01:06 AM

Only Canadian and fleet vehicles come equipped with the DRL option. As far as I know there's no way to add them just by a programming option but the next '09-'10 I get my hands on, I'll hook a scan tool to it to be sure. Chrysler DRL's burn at 50% output.

erm 12-29-2009 01:08 AM

Interesting question. I thought the DRL function was a separate fuse, circuit and computer flash. At least it was in the 90's on GM vehicles.

CdnoilRAM 12-29-2009 01:24 AM

I'd like to see if Randy knows. Let's face it, it's a big safety issue, I hate those little grey cars that barely stick out on the road. I'm trying to figure out how big a difference there is between the canadian and american PCMs. What would the differences be, all it would take is a new flash and it should be fine. I know you can get a european flash up here, so I don't see why you can't get the canadian flash for the DTRs.

erm 12-29-2009 01:31 AM

Yeah...not that I want to put them on my truck but it would be interesting to know if a flash would work.

badash5575 12-29-2009 11:37 AM

This should just be an option that you can select in the computer, like the timer for how long before the lights go off after turning off the truck, or what doors unlock when you press the unlock button on your remote.

glamontagne 12-29-2009 02:56 PM

I am interested in the outcome of this discussion. I like to have mine on when I am traveling long distances.