DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Rear end confusion (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45680)

dirtsurferus 12-29-2009 08:19 PM

Rear end confusion

I was researching rear end prices cause i'm sure that since i just replaced the tranny...the rear end is the other notorious part that goes bad with these dodges.. i want to put a 98 rear and front axle assy in and kill 2 birds with one stone..have the 4.10 gears and have the increased axle GVWR. but what i don't understand is what is the diff between a spicer 60 and a spicer 80? isn't that the 4wd axle going to the front diff? i have no clue what this is.

RamTech 12-29-2009 08:43 PM

The following is info for the available front axles for 1998.

216 AND 248 FBI AXLES

The housing for the 216 and 248 Front Beam-design Iron (FBI) axles consists of an iron center casting with tubes on each side. The tubes are pressed into and welded to the differential housing.
The integral type housing, hypoid gear design has the centerline of the pinion set below the centerline of the ring gear.
The axle has a vent used to relieve internal pressure caused by lubricant vaporization and internal expansion.
The axles are equipped with semi-floating axle shafts, meaning that loads are supported by the hub bearings. The axle shafts are retained by nuts at the hub bearings. The hub bearings are bolted to the steering knuckle at the outboard end of the axle tube yoke. The hub bearings are serviced as an assembly.
The axles are equipped with ABS brake sensors. The sensors are attached to the knuckle assemblies and the tone rings are pressed onto the axle shaft. Use care when removing axle shafts as NOT to damage the tone wheel or the sensor.
The stamped steel cover provides a means for inspection and servicing the differential.
The 216 and 248 FBI axles have the assembly part number and gear ratio listed on a tag. The tag is attached to the housing cover by one of the cover bolts. Build date identification codes are stamped on the cover side of a axle tube.
The differential case is a one-piece design. The differential pinion mate shaft is retained with a roll pin. Differential bearing preload and ring gear backlash is adjusted by the use of shims. The shims are located between the differential bearing cones and case. Pinion bearing preload is set and maintained by the use of a collapsible spacer.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-29-2009 08:43 PM

If your upgrading to 3/4 ton axles , your gonna need to change out your wheels also . 5 lug versus 8 lug .

RamTech 12-29-2009 08:45 PM

Rear axles for 1998:

248 AND 267 RBI AXLE

The 248 and 267 Rear Beam-design Iron (RBI) axle housings consist of an iron center casting (differential housing) with axle shaft tubes extending from either side. The tubes are pressed in to form a one-piece axle housing.
The integral type housing, hypoid gear design has the centerline of the pinion set below the centerline of the ring gear.
The axles are equipped with full-floating axle shafts, meaning that loads are supported by the axle housing tubes. The full-float axle shafts are retained by bolts attached to the hub. The hub rides on two bearings at the outboard end of the axle tube. The axle shafts can be removed without disturbing or removing the wheel bearings. The wheel bearings are opposed tapered roller bearings and are contained in the hub assembly.
The removable, stamped steel cover provides a means for inspection and service without removing the complete axle from the vehicle. A small, stamped metal axle gear ratio identification tag is attached to the housing cover via one of the cover bolts. This tag also identifies the number of ring and pinion teeth.
The rear wheel anti-lock (RWAL) brake speed sensor is attached to the top, forward exterior of the differential housing. A seal is located between the sensor and the wire harness connector. The seal must be in place when the wire connector is connected to the sensor. The RWAL brake exciter ring is press-fitted onto the differential case against the ring gear flange.
The differential case for the standard differentials and the Trac-lok differential in the 248 RBI axle are a one-piece design. The differential pinion mate shaft is retained with a roll pin. Differential bearing preload and ring gear backlash are adjusted by the use of shims located between the differential bearing cones and case. Pinion bearing preload is set and maintained by the use of a collapsible spacer in the 248 RBI axle. The 267 RBI axle uses solid shims to maintain pinion bearing preload.
Axles equipped with a Trac-Lok(TM) differential are optional for the 248 RBI axle. A Trac-lok differential has a one-piece differential case and the same internal components as a standard differential plus two clutch disc packs.
Axles equipped with a Power-Lok(TM) differential are optional for the 267 RBI axle. A Power-lok differential has a two-piece differential case. A Power-lok differential contains four pinion gears and a two-piece pinion mate cross shaft to provide increased torque to the non-slipping wheel through a ramping motion in addition to the standard Trac-lok components.
286 RBI AXLE

The 286 Rear Beam-design Iron (RBI) axle housings consist of an iron center casting (differential housing) with axle shaft tubes extending from either side. The tubes are pressed in to form a one-piece axle housing.
The axles are equipped with full-floating axle shafts, meaning that loads are supported by the axle housing tubes. The full-float axle shafts are retained by bolts attached to the hub. The hub rides on two bearings at the outboard end of the axle tube. The axle shafts can be removed without disturbing or removing the wheel bearings. The wheel bearings are opposed tapered roller bearings and are contained in the hub assembly.
The removable, stamped steel cover provides a means for inspection and service without removing the complete axle from the vehicle. A small, stamped metal axle gear ratio identification tag is attached to the housing cover via one of the cover bolts. This tag also identifies the number of ring and pinion teeth.
The rear wheel anti-lock (RWAL) brake speed sensor is attached to the top, forward exterior of the differential housing. A seal is located between the sensor and the wire harness connector. The seal must be in place when the wire connector is connected to the sensor. The RWAL brake exciter ring is press-fitted onto the differential case against the ring gear flange.
The differential case for the standard differential is a one-piece design. The differential pinion mate shaft is retained with a roll pin. Differential bearing preload and ring gear backlash are adjusted by the use of shims located between the differential bearing cones and case. Pinion bearing preload is set and maintained by the use of solid shims.
Axles equipped with a Trac-Lok(TM) differential are optional for the 286 RBI axle. A Trac-lok differential contains two clutch packs, four pinion gears, and a one-piece pinion mate cross shaft to provide increased torque to the non-slipping wheel in addition to the standard differential components. A Trac-lok differential for the 286 RBI axle has a two-piece differential case.

dirtsurferus 12-30-2009 05:00 AM

yea i was going to change to the 3/4 ton axles, wheels, and i think i have to change out the tranny too. pretty sure but i'm not going to say yes or no without verification. lol it would make sense that i would have to....

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-30-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtsurferus (Post 126738)
yea i was going to change to the 3/4 ton axles, wheels, and i think i have to change out the tranny too. pretty sure but i'm not going to say yes or no without verification. lol it would make sense that i would have to....

Not sure the tranny is a necessity , definitely transfer case . Should be off a stronger model . If you get the tranny , hold on to it . You never know . Not unless your having issues with yours now .

RamTech 12-30-2009 08:25 AM

Are you planning to change the suspension as well?