DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.2 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Cams (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45691)

Yondaime 12-29-2009 10:55 PM

Cams

Alright i got a dual exhaust on my truck and later done the road i want to get a camshaft for it. So i was wondering what would you guys recommend for them?
What do i have to buy to make it work? the reason i want is i like the old muscle car rough idle sound and it gives good hp.

and would this be worth it: http://www.krcperformance.com/
just search KRC 224x Cam

RamTech 12-29-2009 11:04 PM

Personally, I think that's not the best cam for a truck. I'd want something that makes its power in a lower RPM band. Are you even sure that cam will work with a stock bottom end with regards to valve to piston clearence? Naturally, you'll have to change the springs too. Have you found out if the stock injectors can deliver enough fuel for a cam profile like that? What speed stall will you need on the converter? I would think you'd need 2500 rpm at a minimum.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-30-2009 08:37 AM

I wouldn't go gettin all kinda crazy . When you do a cam change theres a lot more to it then that . So much more you need to upgrade after you do the install . You may want to contact a cam company and tell them what you want and they will help you make a selection . All depends on what you want to do .

RamTech 12-30-2009 08:43 AM

Indeed! I don't think the 5.2 has enough cubes for a cam that radical.

Saint1911 12-30-2009 10:46 AM

There are several factors you need to consider before you buy a cam. The total lift, Lobe seperation, duration, etc, etc. The first question you have to ask is what are you looking to gain? In most cases a mild cam is the right answer for a truck. It will give you a reasonable increase in low and mid range torgue as well as a little boost in high end horse power. They are usually advertised as towing cams or torquer cams.

Those cams you here with the rough muscle car idle are great if you are planning to build toward a street strip setup but they aren't pratical for normal driving. You will lose fuel economy and a lot of low and mid range power which is what you use the most in everyday or offroad use. Also towing would be out of the question at that point.

Ask your self what you want to gain from a cam and talk to someone at a performance shop. Also as mentioned above you have to consider valve clearance, valve spring rates etc, etc. Most performance or offroad shops will be more than happy to talk to you. so are places like Jegs or Summit Racing. I hope this helps. Good luck with your build.

Yondaime 12-30-2009 11:20 AM

Wow there was a lot of stuff that i didnt know to consider about before buying. The many focus i am looking at is More Horsepower in the truck.

Saint1911 12-30-2009 12:53 PM

You want horsepower but do you want the power in normal driving like passing acceleration, during towing, hauling and pulling or mostly at full throttle? That is all affected by the Cam profile. If I were in your shoes I would start on google and read what all of that means and how it will effect overall performance. You don't need to be an expert for sure, but it helps to have a basic working knowledge before making a purchase or installing a cam that makes your truck un-streetable.

RamTech 12-30-2009 12:59 PM

A cam that will make torque in the lower RPM band, say from off idle to about 5k rpm is what you want for making the torque that will be useful in a truck but don't expect to get that big lopey idle youre looking for.

Yondaime 12-30-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saint1911 (Post 126852)
You want horsepower but do you want the power in normal driving like passing acceleration, during towing, hauling and pulling or mostly at full throttle?

Yea that is what i want and maybe sometime take it down to the drag strip once in a while.

But my question to you guys is, Is there any type of cam brand that is reliable that i should start to look at?

Saint1911 12-30-2009 01:18 PM

I was asking which you wanted. There is no single cam profile that will give you all of those that I know of. The lopey idle is caused in heavy cams because you are almost stalling out at idle. The timing of a cam like that is throwing off compression and several other things. They don't produce power until up closer to 3,000 to 4,000 RPM and in some cases the engine won't even start to run smooth until almost 2,000 RPM's. My personal preferance is a cam that has it's power band starting at 1500 or 2000 RPM's because that throws my power curve more in line with where I would typically tun my engine when I am offroading or at highway speeds. It could still give a little more aggressive idle but it won't be as extreme as I think you are talking about. Still with that cam and a nice exhaust the truck would sound mean. As far as brands, Comp is a very well known brand and there are several others that are known for quality. I personally have been very satisfied with the ones sold by Summit Racing. They are there generic store brand but are made by Comp cams (i believe) and sold for much less because they don't have the brand name attatched to it. What brand to buy in the end is a personal decision.