DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Sudden gas milage drop.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45731)

red041500 12-30-2009 07:06 PM

Sudden gas milage drop..

i always do the same drive from chicago to missouri and always got around 18.0-18.5 mpg with the cruise locked at 70mph... my truck was at the dealer for some other work and when i picked it up the service d.b. said they did a number of computer updates but couldnt tell me what any of them were. now on my trip down and back this weekend my milage was no better than 16.2 mpg according to the evic and the rpm was at 2000rpm at 70mph. has anyone else seen a drop in milage after the computer updates. also seems to me like the mds doesnt kick on like it used to (but i've never seen the light either except when i start it). was kinda shock to see how much it dropped.

RamTech 12-30-2009 07:09 PM

Lady Ram is having an identical issure with hers after some updates were done.

red041500 12-30-2009 07:12 PM

thanks for the FAST response , is it normal that ive never seen the light for my mds ? i asked the service guy about it and he looked at me like im stupid:4-dontknow::4-dontknow:.... i know there was a thread about the light and i know mine is a early 09 but i know the light is there , but NEVER comes on when driving.

RamTech 12-30-2009 07:15 PM

That, I'm not sure about. Looks like I'm gonna have to call Chrysler about this and see if they can tell me WTF is going on though.

red041500 12-30-2009 07:20 PM

you are the man :smileup::smileup:... ive tried checking the owners manual for information on it but a.d.d. kicks my arse , and my dealer doesnt have the brightest crayons in the box workin in service...... randy you ever think of moving to the chicago area :D..... i know if i take it back i'll get that deer in the headlight look from the service guy , i think he's totally lost when someone comes in and actually knows what thier talking about. i really dont care about the light i just want my 2 mpg back.....

anyone know what is the normal rpm cruising steady at 70mph with 3.92 gears ?

RamTech 12-30-2009 08:22 PM

From what I've been hearing, the latest round of PCM flashes are causing mileage to drop. It's hard to say if Chrysler is aware of this as of right now. The real downer is that you can't flash back to older programming with the CAN bus vehicles.

kcslc 12-30-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 127009)
From what I've been hearing, the latest round of PCM flashes are causing mileage to drop. It's hard to say if Chrysler is aware of this as of right now. The real downer is that you can't flash back to older programming with the CAN bus vehicles.

This is a relief, I thought my mileage decreased after I took the truck in for updates, but I'd only had it a couple of weeks. Plus the weather turned from cool to cold, so I thought I may have just been overusing remote start!

RamTech 12-30-2009 09:45 PM

Well, warm up time isn't going to help the economy any but You shouldn't see a huge mileage drop.

red041500 12-30-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcslc (Post 127033)
Plus the weather turned from cool to cold, so I thought I may have just been overusing remote start!

i dont think warm up time plays a part in this llike remerson states, i always do the same ritual (i dont like to travel outside my box) , i gas up the night befor i leave , next morning drive and dont stop till i get there (or i gotta p). my morning start up is always the same , turn key start truck , put seat belt on , wait 30 seconds and drop it in drive. so cold starts and warming up isnt a question as the milage drop im talking about is a one shot drive , no cooling down time just straight thru driving. so i know my milage drop is really there. noticed it on the way down and said theres no way i lost almost 3mpg , rechecked it on the way back and yep , just under 3mpg drop since my last trip down.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 12-30-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 127009)

Let us know what Chrysler says .