DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   I Didn't Buy it for MPG (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=45837)

tjcin 01-01-2010 09:57 PM

I Didn't Buy it for MPG

I didn't buy this truck because I thought I could get great gas mileage. I bought it for all the other reasons and MPG is an added plus. With 3,000 miles on my 09 Laramie I changed the oil to 5w20 Royal Purple. Last week we took the Ram on it's first long trip. We drove from South Jersey to North Central Ohio to visit the in-laws for Christmas. The trip out was much colder than the trip back. The mileage out was 17.2MPG. Not exactly impressive, but the truck bed was loaded completely full and the Quad cab had two dogs and two adults. The ride home was the same scenario as far as the bed and cab, but I got 19.2MPG. The MDS seemed to come on much more frequently on the way home than on the way out. With a truck this size, very loaded with cargo and passengers to get 18.2MPG for an 1100 mile round trip exceeds my expectations. With an easier foot I probably could have done a little better, but again I didn't buy it for MPG. Can't wait until summer to make the same trip and compare.

RamTech 01-01-2010 10:06 PM

Have you done or are you planning on any mods that will help with fuel economy?

MightyBlueRam 01-01-2010 10:42 PM

When I bought my truck I knew what I was getting into. My previous car before my Ram was a 2007 Hyundai Elantra and my monthly gas bill was between $60 to $100 bucks. But I couldn't carry anything, it was small, and transporting materials for home improvement projects was a pain in the butt. No body should buy a truck this big and expect great gas mileage. But like you say, when you get some 20 mpg it's an added plus. :smileup:

HEMI5150 01-02-2010 12:40 AM

:smileup:I would be VERY impressed with THAT kind of miledge with THAT kind of load, especially in the winter months...!!!!
Do the air cleaner kit, and a magnaflow muffler, the mpg`s will get even better.
Get rid of the resonator`s on the tail too... let it breathe...!
Just becareful in town, it`ll bark at the POlease an then you`ll get a ticket.

I have a 2010 Hemi RT truck, best i`ve seen yet is 15mpg with it...
BUT thats easily explained, my right foot is usually stickin thru that pretty grill:LOL:

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-02-2010 01:18 AM

Still quite impressive for what you were hauling .

Get Bit 01-02-2010 01:24 AM

Are you going by the computer, or calculating the mileage manually?

OneSickHemiRam 01-02-2010 01:46 AM

Royal Purple = Ouch on the bearings. But dam you got good mileage. What was your average speed? 60-65mph?

erm 01-02-2010 01:54 AM

I guess one day I'll have to calculate my mileage. Got a road trip coming up to Arizona so I'll do it then. I know my around town mileage sucks but I didn't buy the truck for mileage, either....LOL

tjcin 01-02-2010 09:40 AM

The only mod I have done to help MPG is add a K&N drop in filter. As for calculating the MPG's, my computer is dead on when I compare it to a calculator. My average speed was 72MPH. I set the cruise and let it roll.

CdnoilRAM 01-03-2010 03:12 AM

That's great to hear you've accepted it's not gonna run forever on a drop of fuel, but that's not bad mileage at all for a truck. I just did a drive myself with a CAI, ram air hood, exhaust, and tuner, and was getting 21.2MPG driving 120-130km/hr with a temp of -20*C.