DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Newbie Q's (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46028)

M109R 01-05-2010 08:17 PM

Newbie Q's

Hey guys, I figure I'll just knock 'em all dead with one thread instead of multiples LOL. This is my first Hemi, so I have some q's on performance...

1) If I install a Cold Air intake, can I run it in the winter without issues?

2) Programmers- are they worth the money for a guy who doesnt wanna mess with custom maps? I'm looking to boost power and gain some MPG with simple push button setup...no major tuning.

3) How do you kill the MDS?

4) What, in your opinions are the "Best Bang for Your Buck" mods.?

bones64 01-05-2010 09:19 PM

:smileup: Well first welcome. I live in Ontario ,Canada. I have a C.A.I and its on the truck all the time snow,rain what ever. No probs so far. A good programer...a..definate. Dont have one but i say good. M.D.S havent a clue..sorry.:4-dontknow:

CdnoilRAM 01-05-2010 09:36 PM

1) no issues running a CAI in winter. I run an AirAid with a ram air hood and absolutely no issues.

2)/3) tuners are a great way to boost MPGs and power. For the HEMI the Diablosport Predator is the best choice. You can upload on of their stock tunes (87/89/91 octane), as well as modify certain perameters like deactivating MDS or changing tire size. You don't need to heavily modify an engine to get benefits from a programmer. I don't know of any 'push button' tuners, but the predator is simple plug and play. Once the tune's in it's there until you remove it or replace it with another octane tune.

4) Best band mods are the basic 3. CAI, exhaust, tuner. Then it depends on what you want to do with your truck, style or performance.

M109R 01-05-2010 09:36 PM

AirRaid it is then. I suppose I'll pick up a predator too. Man, I wish the "mod bug" would just leave me alone! LMAO! Thanks for the help-

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-05-2010 11:06 PM

^^Agreed with Cd^^

RaiderJay6 01-05-2010 11:39 PM

I have the Diablo predator and MDS delete is awesome!

If you think the mod bug bite goes away, you would be very wrong! Just remember its not a problem unless you go to meetings! :)

rickerred 01-06-2010 02:20 PM

if you are looking for better mileage why are you turning off MDS?

CdnoilRAM 01-06-2010 07:33 PM

My name is Kurtis, and yes, I'm an addict... who says that's a bad thing :smileup: The mod bug is lots of fun, my wallet just hates me somedays :LOL:

M109R 01-06-2010 08:49 PM

HaHa...I sold my M109R for a reason. I was addicted to the mods then....and now I got a new truck...NOT GOOD!!! LMAO. Rick, I'm not sure I wanna turn the MDS off...I'm really not sure if its on. I dont know what the guy before me did with the truck. Just trying to learn a little more about the truck before I go modding. Where do you hold these meetings? LMAO!!! My name is Brett, and I too am a addict LMAO!!!

supercharged03hemi 01-07-2010 02:54 AM

I'm an addict too. But its ok, thats why I have a job.