DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Regular gas in a 2010 ram with a hemi? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46220)

Ray 01-09-2010 12:44 AM

Regular gas in a 2010 ram with a hemi?

I have a 2010 ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi. The dealer told me it was ok to use regular gas. Is anybody else using regular gas or going with a higher grade

will 01-09-2010 12:50 AM

use what manual recomends unless you have it tunned otherwise. 89 octane is for stock tune

CdnoilRAM 01-09-2010 01:11 AM

recommendation is to run 89 octane, but you can run 87 with no issues. I'd avoid 85 unless you're FlexFule equipped, which I don't think the 5.7Ls are, only the 4.7Ls
It's a little pointless to run higher octane unless you're doing a cleaning run OR are running a tuner that requires a minimum octane rating.

MightyBlueRam 01-09-2010 01:44 AM

I run 89. Sure the dealer tells you that you can run 87 but the manual says to run 89. If it was a tech that told you this then maybe you might do it. If it was a service advisor that told you, then I wouldn't listen. Some of those guys don't know jack and some do. I'm just saying, why give them any reason to say "oh but you didn't do what the manual said to do." I think there's a reason why they say to run 89.

RamTech 01-09-2010 05:27 AM

The reason for running higher octane is to prevent spark knock. The Hemi has a 10.5:1 static compession ratio. The PCM can compensate for lower octane by retarding the ignition timing but you could be giving up a bit on power.

gregster 01-09-2010 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 132467)
The reason for running higher octane is to prevent spark knock. The Hemi has a 10.5:1 static compession ratio. The PCM can compensate for lower octane by retarding the ignition timing but you could be giving up a bit on power.

If this were to happen could you rectify the knocking and or reduced power by simply switching back to 89 octane?

What about the higher grades (91 or 94 octane). Does anyone run these and if so is there any benefit? (more power?)

iRockCrawler 01-09-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 132467)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregster (Post 132471)
If this were to happen could you rectify the knocking and or reduced power by simply switching back to 89 octane?

What about the higher grades (91 or 94 octane). Does anyone run these and if so is there any benefit? (more power?)

Did you even read the post you quoted???

Higher octane does not equal more power.

I have been running 87 from day 1 with no issues. I have tried 2 consecutive tanks of 89 and could not feel or hear any difference with they way it ran so I stick with the cheaper stuff.

MightyBlueRam 01-09-2010 08:24 AM

So if you are running at reduced power, would it be safe to say that the engine is working harder with less power and that leads to reduced mileage? :4-dontknow: I'm asking because if my thinking is correct then the money you save by using 87 is nulled by lower mpg. Is my assumption wrong?

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-09-2010 09:38 AM

Yes , if your running higher compression , you'll need higher octane fuel . If your running more timing (advanced) then stock (because of a installed tuner) it's quite possible you need a higher octane fuel . Both higher compression engines and vehicles with tuners on them are more susceptible to spark knock (detonation) . Detonation will ruin a engine . If you can get away with running a lower octane fuel so be it . But you better have a good ear . You don't want to ruin your engine . It is always a good insurance policy to run a little better fuel than required .

RamTech 01-09-2010 09:38 AM

I personally have only never noticed any kind of mileage difference. I've heard a lot of people argue the question you ask so I tired it myself in several vehicles over the years and never found any particular benefit. The quality of the fuel does seem to make a difference though. We have a place here called Cheap Gas and while it is a few cents lower per gallon, my truck doesn't seem to like it as well for some reason.