DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Free mods? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46308)

metalguysteveo 01-10-2010 11:22 PM

Free mods?
 
Does anyone know of any free mods? Kinda strapped for cash right now and im just looking for something to tinker with that might have some actual beneficial purpose.

Does anyone know if running open header will actually increase hp or if it will have any negative effect?

RamTech 01-10-2010 11:25 PM

You'll lose some low end power but pick up top end HP when running open headers.

metalguysteveo 01-10-2010 11:38 PM

is there any down side to this? i know my friend ran open headers on his LS1 camaro and he always had an issue starting it....

Incognito 01-11-2010 12:57 AM

I've never heard of free mods. Nothing is free. If you want to play then you gotta pay.

CdnoilRAM 01-11-2010 01:09 AM

I don't know of any 'free mods' but there are a few that are 'cheap' but time consuming mods. You can pull out your headliner and re upolster it with suede for ~$30-40. I can't think of too many low cost mods though...

RamTech 01-11-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalguysteveo (Post 133453)
is there any down side to this? i know my friend ran open headers on his LS1 camaro and he always had an issue starting it....

Tickets for violating local noise laws, constant complaints from other people, not being able to hear your stereo, Check engine light coming on...

hemi05 01-11-2010 01:44 AM

one free mod and diy is to raise the torsion bars to lift the front end. Does wonders for the looks of a 4x4

Bobcat06 01-11-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 133480)
Tickets for violating local noise laws, constant complaints from other people, not being able to hear your stereo, Check engine light coming on...

Yeah, that's what I was about to say. Your truck will be so loud you won't be able to stand it, and your neighbors will hate you. Anytime you step on the gas it will probably set off car alarms, it'll be stupid loud, and probably won't sound that good either. You will also loose some low end power, but will gain some power on the higher end of your RPM range, but it's not like most people spend much time up there anyways. I wouldn't recommended it.

Here is a thread for some cheap mods people have suggested. http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=44521. They include things like painting your calipers, 180 degree thermostat, spray your tailights black with VHT, interior LED lights, etc.

metalguysteveo 01-11-2010 10:41 AM

Wow all good advice...i apreciate it.Yea the sound really has never bothered me i owned an open header Hayabusa and that was pretty freakin loud and before the ram i had a 96 Mustang with turndowns n it was somewhat loud too but ill have to take into consideration that a hemi is bigger than a 1300cc sportbike.lol

Bobcat06 01-11-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalguysteveo (Post 133551)
Wow all good advice...i apreciate it.Yea the sound really has never bothered me i owned an open header Hayabusa and that was pretty freakin loud and before the ram i had a 96 Mustang with turndowns n it was somewhat loud too but ill have to take into consideration that a hemi is bigger than a 1300cc sportbike.lol

Yeah, but the sportbike would have had a higher pitched sound than your big V8, but the V8 will also be louder. I had the exhaust cut open just after the headers on my 3000gt and drove it a few miles when I was changing exhaust on it, and it was way too loud for my taste, couldn't hear anything inside the cabin, and that was just on a 3.0L V6, let alone a V8.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger