DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lowered, now have a steering prob... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46342)

curt4816 01-11-2010 09:16 PM

Lowered, now have a steering prob...

Installed a new set of lowering springs last week and got an alignment right after. Now when I make a turn, the wheels dont straighten out by themselves. i have to manually bring the wheel back to center. Is this one of the drawbacks of using coils to lower and not spindles? Did I get a horrible alignment job? I dont know whats wrong. I have never had this problem before using coils to lower cars. Im hoping that the guy who did my alignment was incompetent and that this problem has an answer.. any words of wisdom would be appreciated.. Thanks!

skeezy1 01-12-2010 02:44 AM

my truck does the same thing and i havent gotten an aligment yet so i think you can scatch that.

sowardcustoms 01-12-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curt4816 (Post 133899)
Installed a new set of lowering springs last week and got an alignment right after. Now when I make a turn, the wheels dont straighten out by themselves. i have to manually bring the wheel back to center. Is this one of the drawbacks of using coils to lower and not spindles? Did I get a horrible alignment job? I dont know whats wrong. I have never had this problem before using coils to lower cars. Im hoping that the guy who did my alignment was incompetent and that this problem has an answer.. any words of wisdom would be appreciated.. Thanks!

Sounds like you don't have enough caster...

curt4816 01-12-2010 04:51 PM

is that a correctable condition? should the guy who did the alignment have seen that and remedied it. If I have to go back to get the alignment fixed I want to know what im talking about.. thanks for the input!

GregInAtl 01-12-2010 08:24 PM

yup, caster split is off, hard to say if its too much or too little. It is fixable and all you need is a quality alignment.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-12-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sowardcustoms (Post 134377)
Sounds like you don't have enough caster...

^^ I agree ^^

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-12-2010 08:35 PM

Did you get the print out of your alignment ? If so what was the actual readings for left and right caster .

RamTech 01-12-2010 09:17 PM

I'm sure the scrub radius has changed as well, especially if you have wheels with different backspacing.

GregInAtl 01-13-2010 05:41 PM

not enough caster typically does this too much will make it "darty" ...not always...just typically.

supercharged03hemi 01-13-2010 11:25 PM

Good info here guys.