DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Fire and EMS? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46348)

MightyBlueRam 01-11-2010 10:24 PM

Fire and EMS?

There's something I have been wondering about. How many of you who work for a fire department are both firefighters and paramedics? Do you provide EMS on a daily basis?

In my department we provide both services.

fireman 01-12-2010 12:44 AM

We provide both here in Edmonton. We are only first responders or EMR level with the dept. Then EMS arrives less than 5 mins later.

USCG71 01-12-2010 12:52 PM

My department does only volunteer technical rescues anything from mva to ems assists to RIT we do anything but fight the fires, but we do have members who are qualified to do so we just dont have the equipment to fight the fires.

atvredneck13 01-12-2010 03:06 PM

One of the departments i run with has 3 ambulance rigs along with all our fire trucks. I guess you can say there are members on the fire side and squad side or both. But we operate together and run out of the same building.

greenmachine 01-16-2010 11:45 AM

My city has just disbanded our ambulance response and layed off 16 medics. now we run fire and EMS first response. big changes!! stay safe

MightyBlueRam 01-16-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmachine (Post 137175)
My city has just disbanded our ambulance response and layed off 16 medics. now we run fire and EMS first response. big changes!! stay safe

Sorry to hear about the layoffs. Here the city officials were threatening pay laying off FF/paramedics unless we gave in to paycuts, increasing our contributions to benefits, and reducing benefits. No one got laid off but we took a hit on pay, benefits, and staffing. Now they put 2 trucks out of service every day instead of hiring any overtime to staff them.

marineman 01-29-2010 08:38 PM

I work for 2 ambulance services that provide only EMS. Never been the fire type but am eternally grateful for those that are. One service I work for is a private hospital owned service, the other is county operated also completely separate from fire. Those seem to be very rare but it's honestly my #1 choice as far as how to setup an EMS system.

CdnoilRAM 01-29-2010 09:16 PM

My company provides both basic fire suppression and medical services, though I only fall into the fire/rescue roll myself.

MightyBlueRam 01-30-2010 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 147788)
My company provides both basic fire suppression and medical services, though I only fall into the fire/rescue roll myself.

Those were the old days in my department. But now everyone has to be both a medic and a firefighter and you can be either on the ladder, engine, or rescue (ambulance truck). We call our fire dept ambulances = rescues. The old timers hate it when they have to work on the rescue and do medical calls.

warwickram 01-30-2010 09:27 AM

in nyc there is semi separate ems but we roll the firetruck as first responders until ems shows up we are all under on department but you are either fire or ems i am fire