DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Chrome tips. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46412)

Ajchana 01-12-2010 11:41 PM

Chrome tips.

Hey guys, I have chrome tips on my exhaust and they are beginning to rust up badly. I've never had anything with chrome before. Don't laugh at me but can i use a real fine steel wool to polish them? Any help would be appreciated.:4-dontknow:

MightyBlueRam 01-13-2010 01:43 AM

The chrome is like a coating on top of the metal. You could try something like that Powerball from Mother's that you put on a drill and polish it with a chrome polish. But if the rust is deep, I doubt it will do any good. How bad is the rust? Just on the surface or is it deep?

hemi05 01-13-2010 02:35 AM

I have the same problem. Mine is about a hundred small dots of rust. I took a small bristled brush, something like you would clean carpet with I guess, and brushed off what I could get. Then washed w/ soap and water followed by a coat of Turtle Wax chrome polish. They looked great at the time, but after driving in rain, snow, and just about everything else, they're back the same way. I don't know what to do. If you figure anything out, please post it.

jayhkr 01-13-2010 10:51 PM

Umm, cut them off at the end and install new ones? You're pretty much S.O.L. when chrome begins to rust. I too have run into the same problem on past vehicles and that's why I won't put them on again. Just not worth the hassle.

Leadfootluke 01-14-2010 10:37 PM

My guess is if it is chrome, and a single wall tip, the rust is coming through from the back and is permanent. Polished tips and Double Wall tips have stainless on the inside with polish or a chrome finish on the outside, which permits surface rust, but not deep rust to bubble through [most of the time].

I would say replace them with Chrome tips for cheap, or invest in a good set. What size are your tips? Any pictures?

barracudadave67 01-19-2010 02:02 AM

Four "O" steel wool should clean them, unless the surface of the chrome is broken. Thats all I use on my chrome, it will not hurt it. Polish them good with some good wax after. You can even use it on chrome plated plastic parts to keep them shiny.

barracudadave67 aka Dave c.

98sst 01-20-2010 01:11 AM

I'm going to have to say thats a no-go on the wool. Chrome seems to have a tendency to flake, and if the rust has broken the shell, it is more likely to have it split/crack/or fracture off though it is not necessairly promised.

I'd say a good wax. For sure. Maybe go out every day and just take a rag and clean it up. It'll only be about a 30 second job.

jkulysses 01-20-2010 01:28 AM

Cut them off and Weld on stainless steel ones.

98sst 01-20-2010 01:31 AM

^^^

even better suggestion.

hemi05 01-26-2010 01:41 AM

here is a pic of mine. they are stainless steel but are chrome plated. I love the way they look here, but they didn't stay like this but a few months.