DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Cooler engines (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46435)

Dodgem 01-13-2010 12:22 PM

Cooler engines

Is it overkill for wanting to add an electric water pump? Or just go with an electric fan and 180 degree thermostat? Highway, stop and go traffic

chithead 01-13-2010 12:30 PM

I lean towards overkill... but all depends on what you are looking to do.

RamTech 01-13-2010 05:47 PM

Electric pumps are generally intended for short term racing use (drag racing) and not continuous use on street engines. There's a reason you don't see them on other types of race cars.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-13-2010 10:19 PM

Electric fan would be fine . Do away with the mechanical fan . Unleash a little horsepower .

Dodgem 01-13-2010 11:01 PM

Overkill sounds good an will not proceed in that direction
Thank you all and will do away with mech fan but I have a task before this one

LSxFBODYgen3 01-19-2010 03:15 PM

I have to chime in on this one...

Like stated an electric water pump is designed for short uses...

Now if you are serious about making more power by getting rid of parasitic loss you can do it.

I dont know exactly how the trucks work cause I just got my truck not to long ago and never really looked under the hood more then to change the oil so I wouldnt know specifcly.

However I can relate this to what alot of the guys in the car club do to our firebirds/camaros.

Remove: AC...Smog pump/emissions...water pump(replace with electric)...fan(replace with electric)...all pulleys are replace with lightweight components...usually underdrive pulleys will help when you do all of this also.

Honestly tho...for the gains you get from doing all that its only worth it if all you do is race the vehicle.

chithead 01-19-2010 03:21 PM

I have to agree. The toll an electric water pump takes on your charging system isn't worth it either. If anything, replacing the clutch fan with an electric or even two electrics is more beneficial. I've seen them have half the draw (amperage) that an electric water pump does.

Dodgem 01-21-2010 11:19 AM

(After the fan and clutch is finally removed)
Speaking of....electric fans in order for it to come on automatically, I would have to splice into the thermostat sensor?
Or is there a ready made plug already waiting?
Do I keep the same thermostat or replace with 180?
And will it make the engine run to cool and a trouble code pop up?
Or will everything be ok with 180 thermostat and dual electric fans?
In cooler environments, this want effect engine operations right?