DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Maintence (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46439)

justsomeguynia 01-13-2010 02:33 PM

Maintence

I just bought an 05 Hemi Big Horn with 24,000 miles. Coming up on an oil change. Gonna change her out with Amsoil 5w20. 7 quarts right? Someone told me to change the coolant out at 5 yrs or 100,000 miles. Is this really neccesary? I think my book says to change the plugs out at around 30,000. Is this absoulutley neccasary also? Also is there a drain plug in the tranny? Or do you have to drop the pan? Would like to switch to synthetic in my tranny and transfer case. Since weve had some -25 to -30 degree nights. Make it easier on her a little bit.

I went from a Dakota to a Ram and im loving it.
Thanks guys.

Tyler in Iowa

wvcoolvinilla 01-13-2010 03:57 PM

7 is correct bro... plugs are a good question I have 34 on mine and i will be changing shortly...

RamTech 01-13-2010 06:41 PM

Based on my work experience, I'd change the coolant at around 4 years. Most of the ones I see at 5 years already have deposits forming in the cooling system. Changing the plugs at 30k is a good idea to maximize performance and fuel economy. It's not like the engine will stop running at 30k if you don't. The fluid in your 545RFE transmission and transfer case is already synthetic as are your diff fluids. Following the maintainence schedule in your manual is the smart way to go.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-13-2010 11:23 PM

I would recommend to do it all Tyler . Get rid of the factory coolant and install new with distilled water . Trans fluid , drop the pan , put in a new filter and refill with Amsoil . Do the transfer case also with Amsoil . Plugs are a good idea also . Look into a set of NGK's .

supercharged03hemi 01-14-2010 12:18 AM

^^^I agree

CdnoilRAM 01-14-2010 02:26 AM

Well, you'll like the Amsoil, I know I do. If it's new to you, then I'd probably switch everything out myself just so I knew what was in there.

Barnyard 01-14-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 135652)
Well, you'll like the Amsoil, I know I do. If it's new to you, then I'd probably switch everything out myself just so I knew what was in there.

Ditto! Start fresh as soon as you can so you know (from this point on) exactly what's been done to it.

jkulysses 01-14-2010 10:37 AM

I need to do these things too but when I drop the tranny pan and change the filter how do I get all the fluid out of the lines that go to my tranny cooler and all that? I also have the 545RFE at least I think I do it's a 5 speed I do know that much. I also have the positraction rear end so does that fluid need to be changed more often to keep everything working properly?

chefred112 01-15-2010 11:51 AM

I have lsd so I usually change my rear end fluid every other year (I have an 05 with 175k miles on her...also with Amsoil), the last time I did my tranny i disconnected the cooler line near the radiator and put a bucket by there, started my truck and it pumped a quart or 2 out, reconnected lines and topped the fluids off..

Incognito 01-15-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 135144)
Based on my work experience, I'd change the coolant at around 4 years. Most of the ones I see at 5 years already have deposits forming in the cooling system. Changing the plugs at 30k is a good idea to maximize performance and fuel economy. It's not like the engine will stop running at 30k if you don't. The fluid in your 545RFE transmission and transfer case is already synthetic as are your diff fluids. Following the maintainence schedule in your manual is the smart way to go.

Yup, if you're obsessive compulsive as me then you do things a little bit before the normal interval, especially if your vehicle is a severe duty vehicle.

By the way, thanks for the info. I never knew that Dodge uses synthetic fluids in our transfer cases and diffs.