DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Best superchip tune settings (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46501)

Capt JJ 01-14-2010 07:38 PM

Best superchip tune settings

Hey. I haven't posted in a while. Been real busy. A little update on my situation: I have a 2004 ram 1500 4x4 with the 4.7 liter. the only mods I have are a cold air intake and magnaflow dual exhaust. I have a superchips Flashpag tuner. I have tried the Mileage XS, 87 octane, and Performance tunes. My main objection is better mpg. the Xs tune helped a little but I found it had a decrease in power from stock. The Performance tune had noticeably better power, but no gain in mpg. I got the best with the 87 octane. Went from 13 to 15 mpg. How long should I try each setting? I only tried the Performance and xs for about 100 miles each. Also, any suggestions on adjustments on the options settings (rev limiter,speed limiter,shift points) for the 87 Octane and Performance tunes. At the present, the options are all at stock on the 87 octane. Thank you'll in advance for any advice.

CdnoilRAM 01-15-2010 01:04 AM

Your numbers seem low for the 4.7L, so I'm at a lost if you've tried the xs with the exhaust and CAI. Have you tried a seafoam clean and cleaning your throttle body? Aside from that, I don't have much else if you cany get any higher mileage than that.

chithead 01-15-2010 08:35 AM

Might want to try a whole tank. The computer may need time between settings to readjust some things for more accurate readings.

Capt JJ 01-15-2010 11:22 AM

I've never got more than 13 mpg before. I had a complete tune up: new plugs, injectors cleaned recently. I might try the Mileage xs for longer to see if I get better. What kind of mileage others getting with this truck? Anyone with any ideas on the options settings.

LSxFBODYgen3 01-19-2010 03:06 PM

I have a 06 ram(see profile) and I get 14 in the winter and 16 in the summer. That is all city driving tho. Best ive seen is 19 on the thruway for long distance.

I will note that the ONLY mods done to my truck are a grille guard(added weight might have a negative effect on mileage); also have a trifold tonneau cover(claims it helps gas mileage but i didnt buy it to save gas mileage so really havent payed attention to before and after)

Either way I know these trucks arent good on gas but who buys a truck and expects it to give you 30mpg...well besides those guys that buy a honda "truck".

Either way it seems like you are a little on the low side. Might be something small thats affecting gas mileage. It could be wrong tire pressure, slightly dragging brakes, slightly bad wheel bearings.

As far as the tuner...id love to help you but I dont have a tuner yet. Thinking about getting one soon tho. Just seems like alot of money to me.

City Slicker 01-19-2010 03:53 PM

I used the Mileage XS setting on my 07 4.7L and got an average of 16.7 MPG (hand calculated), driving very conservatively. I also have cooled air intake, exhaust, and throttle body spacer.

euromade 01-19-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 (Post 139865)
I used the Mileage XS setting on my 07 4.7L and got an average of 16.7 MPG (hand calculated), driving very conservatively. I also have cooled air intake, exhaust, and throttle body spacer.

I have an 05 with 4.7 and would like to get a tune to do something about the shiftpoints. Also would like to know what tuner would allow for tire size adjustment. I like the truck but its factory shift points are redicilous. It alway shift to low rpm. Would superships resolve this?

I think my truck came with 245 75 17s and now I have 285 75 17s...it would be nice to get this adjusted~
Thanks a bunch!

City Slicker 01-19-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromade (Post 140099)
I have an 05 with 4.7 and would like to get a tune to do something about the shiftpoints. Also would like to know what tuner would allow for tire size adjustment. I like the truck but its factory shift points are redicilous. It alway shift to low rpm. Would superships resolve this?

I think my truck came with 245 75 17s and now I have 285 75 17s...it would be nice to get this adjusted~
Thanks a bunch!

I have the Superchips Cortex. With it, you can do everything you just mentioned. You can change your shift points and tire size in a very simple manner. Basically all you have to do is plug it in and follow like 3 or 4 links from the main menu and your done. The programmer does all the work, you just have to hit a couple buttons, it does not take long at all.

JCBSGIXXER 01-20-2010 05:05 PM

-new to the truck world- I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi w/ Flowmaster super 44's after cat single in dual out. drove it around and couldn't figure out why it sounded like crap when I was at a steady speed... i didn't know that it dropped cylinders, so i've been driving with the overdrive off for crusing around town and keeping it on, on the highyway. is there anyway to get rid of the 4-6-8 (whatever you call it)? Also was going to get the superchip... but heard a rumor that it could mess the computer up and throw on dash lights. Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Capt JJ 01-21-2010 06:58 AM

I'm going to try the Mileage Xs setting again and run it for a couple tanks of gas. I have the Flashpaq and you can change settings for tire size and the shift points, also. Very easy to do. As far as problems, I've had mine for 3 or 4 months, the only problem I encountered was my cruise control turning off while using it a couple of times. It would not come back on until I turned truck off then back on. DSPTYWCADETO9 , what settings are you using with you're Cortex? Are you getting better fuel mileage? Still looking for anyone who might use a Superchips, and the settings they are using. Thanks