DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   The 212 Cam Install.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46777)

ssteadman09 01-19-2010 05:05 PM

The 212 Cam Install..

I want to get 212 cams for my 4.7L reg. cab.. The only things I have done to the engine is a cai.... Can i just put it in without any other modifications? If not, then what modifications do i have to do?

chithead 01-19-2010 05:12 PM

What year model is you truck? Might want to consider stepping up the intake manifold and throttle body.

RamTech 01-19-2010 05:38 PM

I'd start with the basics if you haven't already. CAI, cat back exhaust, tuner, etc. You going to do the install yourself?

ssteadman09 01-20-2010 02:36 AM

yes i will do the install myself.. any pointers? and my truck is a 2002. A big thanks guys. especially for the quick replys.

98sst 01-20-2010 02:39 AM

Are you pulling the engine? or removing the radiator and such.

RamTech 01-20-2010 09:56 AM

You really have to be careful when you do this because getting the cams even one tooth off will bend the intake valves. It can be done without tearing down the front of the engine and getting into the chains but you need a Locking Wedge (9867) to prevent the tensioners from extending. You'll also need Spanner Wrench 6958 with Adapter Pins 8346 for removing and installing the cam sprocket bolts. Finally you need Camshaft Holder 8428A to rotate the cams and line up the sprockets. Of course there are ways around some of this but I didn't tell you that.

ssteadman09 01-20-2010 08:37 PM

haha, thank you remerson.. that information was exactly what i was looking for! and i didnt hear (read) you telling me that either.. :]

rjs2005 01-22-2010 11:47 AM

Without question, Randy's advice about caution is sound. Getting a cam one tooth off is a lot easier than it sounds. I did a timing belt change on my 97 Miata, and in spite of my extreme caution, I got the belt off a tooth. In the Miata, it's not a fatal flaw since it's not an interference motor, but it's genuinely aggravating since you don't discover it until the car's together and being driven. You have one of two choices: 1. Take it back apart and do it again or 2. Take it to the dealer, hang your head and open your wallet. I chose option 2.

On an interference engine, the end result can be devastating. Bent valves, pistons with holes in the top. You wanna talk REAL money? Now your gettin' there!

That's not to say you can't do it, just make sure you are very, very careful, and use the specialized tools necessary. You'll likely regret it if you don't.

Just my .02 from someone whose been there.

RamTech 01-22-2010 12:47 PM

If you have a lot of miles on the engine already you might want to go ahead and tear down the front cover and replace the chain tensioners while you're at it.

ssteadman09 01-22-2010 03:15 PM

The engine has 118,000 miles on it... and thank you rjs 2005.... i do appreciate that .02 cents!!! lol this IS my first cam install on anything... but im not scared of it.. i mean, i can follow directions.. if i can find them! lol.. i got a question though... how do you actually get the cam back in, in the exact same position as the last cam? how do you hold the valves that are open at the time, OPEN? do you hold every valve open? And what is the biggest cam i can put in the 4.7? I do have a lot of questions.. but i know this is the right place to ask them.. thanks everyone again!