DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Moving Story (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46958)

GPSHSLAX 01-22-2010 12:50 PM

Moving Story

Part I: The first move.

So ... last month I moved from Florida City (south of Miami) to Gainesville Fl. Trip is about 360 one way.

I started pack, rented a trailer, and got going.

The whole thing ended up being a disaster. I ended up needing to make 3 trips with the trailer and 8 trips alltogether to move everything. The last day was pouring down rain. Anyone from south florida knows which day I'm talking about. Some areas got over 16" in 24 hours. I in my infinate wisdom had decided that to save some money on the last trip I would downgrade the trailer. The result was that I had to load boxes and furniture into the bed with a biblical style flood pouring down around me. I had a tarp but after so many trips it was getting pretty tattered and not keeping water out so I cobbled together a patchwork of tarp and shower curtains and used every bungie I own to keep things dry. I wasent entirely sucessfull but nothing was damaged beyond salvage.

After all the turn around and tolls (my wife was usually following in her car as well), and coffe, and food stops (cause there is nowhere to cook when your moving) we managed to run over the remaining money in our account and overdraft. Not once, not twice, but 23 times. If I had realised every stop at duncan donuts was costing me $30 on top of the beverage you can bet I would have gone without. The total amout we overdrew was less than $300 but we got $690 in fee's.

So that concluded one of the more stressfull weeks on my life ... but there was more to come.

To be continued .....

rjs2005 01-22-2010 01:09 PM

Wow, I sure feel for you. Moving is just an awful experience! My youngest son, living not too far from you right now (Kingsland, GA) is in the process of vacating a leased duplex and moving into a leased home, in the same area. Easy enough, you say? Not for him. He signed a lease allowing him to move in his new place on 1 Feb, and he has to vacate his previous location by 31 January. I made the suggestion that he contact the property manager and request the opportunity to move some stuff in a week early, since the rental is empty. He did so, and they (gasp) expect a week's rent to allow this. That adds up to $258.00. Of course he called me and griped up a storm. So, I sat with him and called a few locations to detemine- 1. Short term storage of his stuff, since he would need that 2. A hotel room for at least one night, probably 3 -5. 3. A large moving truck, since he would have to get his stuff out all at once. The total bill? About $1500.00. Amazingly, $258 didn't seem to be such a burden after all!

Something I would dearly love to see U-Haul, Penske, Enterprise and Budget add to their rental fleet would be toppers for trucks. Imagine how nice it would be if you could rent a generic white topper, clamped onto your bed rails, that you could load cargo into when moving! I think that would be simply awesome! Add that and a decent sized trailer, you could move some real cargo in a hurry!

Anyway, good luck in Gainesville. I hope you don't have a lot of University of Miami paraphenalia on your Ram!

GPSHSLAX 01-22-2010 01:17 PM

Part II: The Water Main

After my wife and I finished moving our stuff to our new place we watered the plants, loaded up the animals in the back of her car, and set off to see relatives in Michigan.

The trip of pleasant enough, although I did get the stomach flu at one point (lost 23lbs in 3 days), but it still takes a lot out of you and I didn't have much left to give.

We arrived back in Florida in early January to an appartment full of boxes and with almost no money remaining (remember the giant fine). We checked our mail for the first time and were greated with a utility bill for the first 7 days of service. Aside from the $60 turn on fee there was a charge for 27,000 gallons of water and sewer. That's right 27,000! Now mind you this is for a 2/1.5 appartment were noone had showered, run the dishwater, or laundry.

Immediately we reported it to the apparetment, whom advised us to call the utility company. The utility company offered to send out a walker to do a reread of the meter but said if the read was correct then the bill was our responsability. In the mean time before the reader arrived I went and found the meter myself and discovered it to be spinning despite there being no open faucets inside.

So back to the appartment manager I went. This time she agreed to call a leak detector and to talk to her boss about our bill. I turned of the water at the street to stop the leak running. The next morning the leak detector arrived and determined that he couldn't find a leak but that it was clearly leaking somewhere. :i_rolleyes: The appartment decided it was best to just replace the main going around the parking lot (where the leak most likely was) and gave us keys to another unit to bath and wash dishes. Over the next three days the old main was cut out and the appartment maintinance crew installed a new. They did however manage to damage the meter and the main of the street side of the box however so the Utility had to come replace those parts as well.

At least we had our water back on, and a verbal agreement for the appartment to pay that portion of our bill.

But there was more to come.

To be continued ....

GPSHSLAX 01-22-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjs2005 (Post 142418)
Anyway, good luck in Gainesville. I hope you don't have a lot of University of Miami paraphenalia on your Ram!

I don't have any. I'm from Michigan originally so the only college paraphenalia I have is a Michigan State University Alumni license plate frame.

In the end I would have been better off just renting a 35' moving truck like I did when we moved down. I didn't want to drop the money but I ended up spending it in the long run anyway and would have saved some stress.

07dodgehemi 01-22-2010 03:04 PM

There's MORE!?

BlueJet 01-22-2010 03:18 PM

Oh man........at this point I don't even want to know! How much more could you guys go through?! :SHOCKED:

MightyBlueRam 01-22-2010 03:34 PM

Man, sorry to hear about all the troubles on your move. As if the expensive dounuts were not enough, to get slapped with a 27K gallon water bill. That was pretty ignorant of the water company. It's not like you live in a house with an olympic size pool

chithead 01-22-2010 03:40 PM

Moving sucks... and I always get conned into helping.

BlueJet 01-22-2010 03:56 PM

Because you have a truck and big strong man arms! :)

challygirl 01-22-2010 09:57 PM

OMG!:Wow1: What else could happen? On pins and needles waiting to hear!