DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.9 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Electric Fan experience anyone? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47070)

Zekery360 01-24-2010 05:17 PM

Electric Fan experience anyone?

Me and a couple buddies decided electric fans would be the way to go for our pickups, however I am not sure where to get the fan. I hear you can take them out of many cars with a 3.8L, but I am not really sure. If anyone could help point me towards some fans I could take out of cars at a junkyard, that would be great. I don't feel like paying $600 for a e-fan kit if I can do it for $100.

Thanks guys!

erm 01-24-2010 05:24 PM

I'd measure the area you have available to mount a fan. Then start measuring fans in the junkyard. Take an extra battery with you to test the fans. I've heard the same thing about the GM 3.8L engined cars and the fans but I've never tested it out.

I think a lot of junkyard fans can be mounted on the back side of the stock radiator...you just have to make sure you have adequate depth and up/down, side to side dimensions to work with.

RamTech 01-24-2010 05:49 PM

Don't mount the fan with the plastic touching the radiator fins. You'll nee some sort of padding of a little space in between to keep the fan vibration from rubbing a hole in the radiator.

34blazer 01-25-2010 09:39 AM

right now i have an Efan from a mid 90's T-bird 3.8. not liking it at all, it draws too much current for my 30 amp relay. going to the pullapart to get the dual fan setup off a ford contour or something like that.

Plainbroke 01-25-2010 10:42 PM

Taurus or Sables, and Continetals, that had the 3.8L seem to be the most popular..

graphicjunkie 02-04-2010 12:31 AM

What else is needed to make these work? I don't see people just running a switch to the cab. ?

34blazer 02-04-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graphicjunkie (Post 151453)
What else is needed to make these work? I don't see people just running a switch to the cab. ?

you can buy an efan t-stat and relay kit from just about any auto parts store. they are adjustable to whatever temp you want the fan to run at

rustyolred 03-22-2010 06:00 PM

My truck has a e-fan already installed by the po. It is not wired. It has 4 wires. 2 are hooked up to a temp switch/sending unit in the radiator. Can anyone give any heads up on how to wire this thing. It is a 14" unit. I am wanting to get rid of the belt driven viscous clutch and fan. Is this a good idea?

Rusty

Zekery360 03-22-2010 08:06 PM

Getting rid of the belt driven fan is a good idea, but I can't help as far as wiring goes. Most temp. controllers come with wiring diagrams for you to follow and get everything hooked up. Beyond that, the fan itself pretty much just needs 12 volts and ground.

rustyolred 03-22-2010 08:45 PM

well it came with the truck and no instructions were included.
anyone?

Rusty