DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188)
-   -   ABS/Brake Light....headlight issue too! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47271)

BigTimmy03 01-28-2010 09:52 AM

ABS/Brake Light....headlight issue too!

Hi,

Been reading around on different sites, but no one seems to be able to have an answer for me so hoping someone here might have a clue! Here is the issues I have been having:

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT

When I start my truck in the morning, my right headlight comes on all by itself, without me even touching the light switch! Then, my ABS/Brake light comes on, and stays on. My power windows work, but my windshield wipers won't work at all! Nothing else on the inside of dashboard lights up, but the radio/CD player does work!

When I actually flip my lights on, then my dashboard lights up like it normally does when you turn the lights on! When I put the truck in reverse, sometimes the lights both headlights then come on, sometimes they don't! I will then put that truck in drive, which also sometimes puts both headlights on, but lately it hasn't been doing that! My highbeams also won't work! Even though my ABS/Brake light comes on, my brakes work just fine!

Now, this happened to me a couple of months ago, I would drive for like 30 seconds, turn the truck off and the start it back up, and the lights would go off and I would have no problem! It all started again maybe 2 weeks ago, I jumped on of my buddies older (old as in 1989!) truck, he obviously put the jumped cables on my battery terminals and then ever since then I have been getting this message again! I can't help but think they are connected, it can't just be a coincidence!

Anyway, long story short, does anyone have any info or advice on this problem! The truck drives fine, but it drives with just the right headlight working the whole way!

RamTech 01-28-2010 09:56 AM

My first off the top of my head guess is a faulty FCM. A pretty common failure for that year.

txhemi 01-28-2010 09:56 AM

WOW, sounds like your truck is possessed! I would try unhooking the battery for a solid 30 minutes or so and then see if that helps.
Welcome to the board!

RamTech 01-28-2010 11:06 AM

A hard reset won't fix it.

BigTimmy03 01-28-2010 11:51 AM

is this an easy thing to fix?? Do you have any idea how much it might cost to repair? I really want to go get this checked it out! Thanks for your advice!

Toms Blue Ram 1500 01-28-2010 05:00 PM

Wow lot of strange issues with that one . I would have to agree . As long as the truck hasn't been hacked up , It would have to be something common on the truck , the controller .

RamTech 01-28-2010 05:02 PM

It's not a difficult module replacement but it does need a proper diagnosis and it's not what I'd call cheap to fix.