DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Multiple problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47546)

96Ram1500 02-01-2010 02:03 PM

Multiple problems

1) FRONT END GRINDING!!! Noticed it about 2 weeks ago and it's just getting louder... fast. It only happens when I turn the wheel and moving. It's getting REALLY loud now. I checked the power steering fluid and was it was fine. I don't know what it is. I was think MAYBE bad wheel bearings? I don't know.

2) Wobble: Truck wobbles like hell starting about a month ago. When I brake, between 30 and 40mph, you can literally watch the bed of the truck bounce horrendously. Also have a "high speed" wobble (not when braking). Doesn't do it until I hit about 60-65MPH and then goes away about 70-75mph.

3) Grinding when cold: I have to let it idle in park for about 10-15 minutes before I go anywhere to avoid the noise. It only happens in Drive or Reverse and only at low speeds (5mph and under).

4) Rough idle: Doesn't matter the temp, if I'm stopped it bounces.

5) Constant HARD Pull to the right: I've got an allignment and new tires and it still does it. My steering wheel is constantly about 1/8-1/4 of a turn to the left to keep it going staight. If I let go, it flies hard to the right.

6) Where's my heat?: The only way the cab gets hot is if I have it on the recycle setting, not sure what it's called.

7) Engine temp fluctuates between 190 and 215. I'm pretty sure its the TStat, but just wanted to run it by you guys.

Any help with these issues would be highly appreciated. I have a feeling either way that I'll be spending a LOT of money, so the more knowledge I have when I got back to the auto shop, the better off I'll be.

96Ram1500 02-01-2010 02:10 PM

Notes on a few of these...

On #3 - It also grinds if stopped in D or R.

On #4 - I've replaced all the plugs, injectors, and wires. Also ran a bit of Seafoam through it.

RamTech 02-01-2010 02:13 PM

1 - 2wd or 4wd?
2 - Have the steering and suspension components been checked for problems?
3 - Where is the noise coming from approximately?
4 - Try cleaning the throttle body. Have you had the PCM scanned for codes? http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46454
5 - Alignment is probably not right or a steering/suspension component is damaged/worn out. Do you have the spec sheet from the alignment?
6 - Might have a blend/mode/recirc door problem.
7 - Normal operating range.

96Ram1500 02-01-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 149684)
1 - 2wd or 4wd?
2 - Have the steering and suspension components been checked for problems?
3 - Where is the noise coming from approximately?
4 - Try cleaning the throttle body. Have you had the PCM scanned for codes? http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46454
5 - Alignment is probably not right or a steering/suspension component is damaged/worn out. Do you have the spec sheet from the alignment?
6 - Might have a blend/mode/recirc door problem.
7 - Normal operating range.

1- 2wd
2- Not yet.
3- Can't really tell. sounds like the tranny. Definately not the rear diff. I just had the tranny fluid changed not even a month ago hopign it would fix it.
4- Cleaned the TB a week ago, no change. Yes, scanned it... no codes.
5- Allignment is definately right. Yeah, I have the sheet.
6- New AC compressor?
7- But it is normal to watch the needle go up then then down constantly? I've had a number of vehicles and they usually held within 5 degrees, not 25 lol.

RamTech 02-01-2010 02:33 PM

I had a '97 in here this morning that does the same thing you're describing with the temp gauge. Any way you can post the specs for the alignment? Scanning the sheet would be even better. Have you checked the brakes for the right side sticking or a restricted hose? This can cause a pull. Did you replace the cap and rotor when you did the tune up? How about checking the fuel pressure and volume?

deanthecrabman 02-01-2010 07:29 PM

Does the temp go up at idle, then down when driving? Could be fan clutch.

96Ram1500 02-02-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 149701)
I had a '97 in here this morning that does the same thing you're describing with the temp gauge. Any way you can post the specs for the alignment? Scanning the sheet would be even better. Have you checked the brakes for the right side sticking or a restricted hose? This can cause a pull. Did you replace the cap and rotor when you did the tune up? How about checking the fuel pressure and volume?

I'll post the specs here later today. Don't have it in front of me now.

Yeah, checked the brakes.

No, I didn't replace the cap and rotor.

Haven't checked fuel pressure and volume. Probably should do that lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by deanthecrabman (Post 149900)
Does the temp go up at idle, then down when driving? Could be fan clutch.

No, it will fluctuate constantly whether idle or driving.

96Ram1500 02-02-2010 05:17 PM

UPDATE:

Well, I got #2 fixed. It was the rotors. Don't know how in god green earth both rotors warped very badly at the same damn time. But whatever. 300 bucks later, no wobble. (Still have the high speed vibration. I've narrowed that down to the shocks. There another $400-500. Sigh.... oh well.

96Ram1500 02-02-2010 05:20 PM

Oh, but even though I got rid of one thing, I have another. The tech said I had a leak in a wheel cylinder. I don't even know what the hell that is lol

RamTech 02-02-2010 05:58 PM

Have you had the tires road force balanced to check for radial runout and stiff spots in the tire? A wheel cylinder is the part of the rear drum brakes that the fluid flows into and forces the shoes out against the drums. You need to get that fixed asap.