DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Front end fixes (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47647)

wermbang 02-03-2010 12:03 PM

Front end fixes

Ok so with my tax money I am replacing my ball joints with Moog parts.(know a place with decent pricing?)

What else should I replace while I am in there?:feedback:

RamTech 02-03-2010 12:06 PM

Check the track bar, tie rod ends and gearbox for excessive play.

canuckboy 02-03-2010 05:31 PM

Glad to hear your sensible and going with one of if not the best front end component part companies out there. MOOG rocks and you can beat a lifetime gaurentee :box2:

Im halfway there, replaced my original lowers and link pins with Moog parts. Just waiting for the original uppers to start having play and I will be tossing/pressing Moogs into there also :smileup:

But ya pretty much any moving joint under there can be replaced with Moog eh. Although I know the pitman arms can be quite a bit more than the regular aftermarket ones or OEM. I replaced mine but went with an OEM one because the MOOG was twice as much.

Anyways Good luck and have fun....

wermbang 02-10-2010 11:07 AM

Well I can no longer get the Moog parts I was planning on. With my ankle injury gonna have some medical bills to pay, since I don't live in Canada, and my works health insurance is horrible, even though I work for an insurance company.
I found on ebay where they have a 1 year warranty and come with tie rods and something else for $166 free shipping too. These should hopefully be good for now, and then can replace with Moog next time. I know I shouldn't but money is tight so I gotta do what I have to.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 02-10-2010 11:31 AM

www.rockauto.com

RamTech 02-10-2010 12:20 PM

You might consider only replacing the parts that need replacing with Moog instead of rebuilding the entire front end.

wermbang 02-10-2010 12:36 PM

I might do that Randy. I know one ball joint is bad, can't remember which one, but it had about an 1/2 to 1 inch of play. The other side was good, do I just change the one peice that is bad (top or bottom) or should both be done to match (top/bottom and/or left/right)?

RamTech 02-10-2010 12:57 PM

If you only have one bad joint on one side, I'd do both if finances permit. That way you wont have to tear it back down again to do the other. If there is one bad on either side and finances wont allow replacing all four, then fix whats bad with good parts and make sure the bearing surface and inside the knuckle has been cleaned of all rust and coated heavily with antiseize so you can take the bearings back out without damaging them.

wermbang 02-10-2010 01:05 PM

Great thanks, I think I am going to check into that route. I have a paper with what needs to be fixed on my front that I received from Car-X at home somwhere.

bones64 02-10-2010 04:36 PM

I agree with Randy , Werm. If ones bad the other is coming soon i imagine. I would do them and anything else you are sure of. I feel for you about your health care bills.It does suck. All the best.:smileup: