DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   EVIC and mileage numbers (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47746)

ram4x4 02-05-2010 04:49 PM

EVIC and mileage numbers

Maybe someone has seen this or had it happen to them before. Chrysler is telling me to not trust the EVICs numbers on mileage.

Just today the EVIC was showing 23L/100 km, I know bad mileage, but where I live it's cold, quite cold at times. When I started the truck this morning the KMs to empty showed a larger number then the day before and when I looked at the mileage, it showed 14.9L/100 Kms. This has happened to me once before, the last time was a couple of months ago after I filled the tank, after this happens the numbers slowly creep back up. This time I had not just filled the tank either.

Anyone have this happen to them, anyone get a better answer than the one I got from Chrysler? Is this a common problem and is there a fix. Because if you ask me that's a lame answer to give, especially when this is suppose to be one of the highlights on this truck.

Thanks!

hydrex 02-05-2010 05:49 PM

The EVIC on my 05 takes a while to settle down after a fill up. I suppose it uses some sort of averaging logic. For example, if I fill up and start driving easily on flat road at 45 mph/75km/hr it may show 30 mpg for a short while , then slowly settle down and by the end of the tank it's very close to actual. Do you reset at every fill up? I tried out an 09 when they first came out, and one thing I like better in my truck is the evic in the overhead console, the 09's have too much crammed into the speedo, imho.

will 02-05-2010 06:16 PM

When your vehicle idles. your mpg, or kilometers, or what ever you have in Canda, the fuel evic or digital readout of fuel mileage drops, dramatically when idling. So the actual average it displays may not be on par wit the real average, wich in my case the real average was higher.

ram4x4 02-05-2010 08:00 PM

That doesn't seem to answer the question of why it would drop so dramatically. It's 10 L/100 km. It will get back to where it was, but in time, probably in a little over a week. Like mentioned, it has only happened twice.

CdnoilRAM 02-05-2010 08:24 PM

Can't tell you why, but if you want to know real-world numbers, just clock the kms and compare to the liters you put in. Best way to know. My Superduty's L/100km is always wacked. Hauling my trailer and it showed 21L/100kms, then after turned off for lunch, it was reading 34... that ain't right!

ram4x4 02-05-2010 08:34 PM

Believe me I am doing that right now, I can't see 24 L/100kms being even possible. I just don't understand why the sudden drop, it's like it is resetting itself.

HoustonHemi 02-05-2010 11:08 PM

No issues with my 09 EVIC,,,,

Maybe the EVIC gets 'confused' when it has to perform Metric equations! :LOL:: (jk!!!!) :doh:

erm 02-05-2010 11:27 PM

It's a short term, adaptive system. It varies depending on driving conditions, speed, etc...so if you are in stop and go for a shot time, it registers a low MPG. Hit the road and cruise at a steady speed for a while and you'll see it climb.

Want a reliable way to measure MPG? Use the tried and true method...miles driven divided by gallons used. It never fails.

RAMING IT 04-08-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MADDOG (Post 152427)
It's a short term, adaptive system. It varies depending on driving conditions, speed, etc...so if you are in stop and go for a shot time, it registers a low MPG. Hit the road and cruise at a steady speed for a while and you'll see it climb.

Want a reliable way to measure MPG? Use the tried and true method...miles driven divided by gallons used. It never fails.

MADDOG's right on the money with that method. Cant never go wrong dividing total miles since your last fill up and gallons burned.