DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Towing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Pulling a camper (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=47851)

MuzzledRooster 02-07-2010 11:53 PM

Pulling a camper

First off, let me apologize if this is a question that has been asked before.

My family and I go camping quite a bit and normally I pull our pop-up with our Suburban. It doesn't require a drop hitch even though it's 4x4 and has the 17" wheel option.

Anyone here pull a camper? I'm curious how many inches of hitch drop I'm going to need for the Ram with it's 20" rims. Worst case scenario I'll just bring the camper home from storage and do some measuring.

Here's the camper with the 'burb. Pic taken at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana in July 2009.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs191....6_394472_n.jpg

Snowman 02-08-2010 12:40 AM

Yep, you are going to have to hook it up to the Ram to correctly calculate hitch hieght.Where do y'all go camping? Me an my family go every weekend from May to October, up to a nice Lake in the backcountry. Pull a 12000 lb 32FT Durango Travel Trailer, put ATV,s on truck ATV deck and have a blast. Started out with a half ton truck pulling a tent trailer just like yours. Trailer grew to the size i have now and had to have the Cummins to pull it and haul all the toys. Can't wait till spring. hope you have a good time camping with your RAM.

wermbang 02-08-2010 01:48 AM

I pull a 26ft travel trailer. I have an 11 inch drop in my weight distributing hitch, or whatever the biggest one Quality S makes. I have 17 in rims, 285 tires and 2 inch lift. My camper is a 95 so it doesn't sit has high as the new ones.

MuzzledRooster 02-08-2010 10:08 AM

We camp mostly in Missouri state parks. We have a really well-managed park system. The sites are maintained and the shoot houses clean. We've camped in Illinois and Indiana.

At some points when my kids get bigger we may do some off pavement camping but not yet. They love to camp but you know kids, they love going where there will be other kids.

wermbang 02-08-2010 11:59 AM

Thats how we camp too, its so much easier going that way with three little ones. Our state parks are not the greatest.

TJB10 02-08-2010 09:22 PM

Again you will have to measure it, but to give you and example I had to lower our ball 33/4" when we went to our new 2010 Ram SLT Sport with 20" wheels. We pull a Jayco TT.

GarageKept 02-08-2010 09:49 PM

I camp also. 33' camper.

Here's an easy way to check without picking up you camper from storage...
If you still have the Suburban, measure your reciever height on it and your Ram's reciever height, then check the difference. Add or subtract difference to your current drop hitch. It looks like your camper & Suburban were nice and level from your picture.

black beauty 02-08-2010 11:04 PM

well on my trailer i had to reverse the ball so it sat higher but i also have 16in wheels 265/75 tires on my truck you'll probably have to hook it up to figure it out or as garagekept explained it seems to actually be pretty easy.

Incognito 02-09-2010 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman (Post 153438)
Yep, you are going to have to hook it up to the Ram to correctly calculate hitch hieght.Where do y'all go camping? Me an my family go every weekend from May to October, up to a nice Lake in the backcountry. Pull a 12000 lb 32FT Durango Travel Trailer, put ATV,s on truck ATV deck and have a blast. Started out with a half ton truck pulling a tent trailer just like yours. Trailer grew to the size i have now and had to have the Cummins to pull it and haul all the toys. Can't wait till spring. hope you have a good time camping with your RAM.

British Columbia's interior is absolutely beautiful. Some of the best roads in Canada for riding crotch rockets. Although I love Canada from coast to coast, I love the West Coast and East Coast equally.

Man, everyone hauling trailers above 20 feet make my little 17 foot hydraulic dump trailer seem tiny!

rustyolred 02-09-2010 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarageKept (Post 153889)
I camp also. 33' camper.

Here's an easy way to check without picking up you camper from storage...
If you still have the Suburban, measure your reciever height on it and your Ram's reciever height, then check the difference. Add or subtract difference to your current drop hitch. It looks like your camper & Suburban were nice and level from your picture.

The above way works good.
You could also go and visit the camper in storage and bring along a level with you. Jack up your trailer(or down, just depends) until level and then measure from the ground up. Measure you RAM's ball height and add or subtract.