DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   How to cure a sore throat? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48071)

98sst 02-12-2010 09:22 AM

How to cure a sore throat?

I've had strep throat since Tuesday. It's KILLING me! I haven't slept since Tuesday, I swear. I've been looking for solutions. Gargling salt... whoever said that works is full of it.

However... I gargled cayenne pepper and salt just now and it seems to have helped the pain a bit. I thought my mouth would be on fire and such, but it's not too bad.

What do you guys do for sore throats?

Dann 02-12-2010 09:47 AM

Right you need my grandads trick this works and whenever i have a bad throat i have one of these.

1" of whiskey in a glass
1 table spoon of honey
squert of lemon juice
2" of hot water

mix up in glass and drink slowly, you will feel it sooth ya throat. hmmmm called a hot toddy.

Dann

GPSHSLAX 02-12-2010 09:47 AM

Gargling salt water does more, but you need it to be pretty salty, and you need to repeat frequently, and strep is pretty sever for any home remedy to combat.

Eat plenty of popsicles is my recomendation. The cold always seems to help me.

Hang in there kid, when I was younger I used to get strep or tonsillitis about ever 3
months till they took my tonsils out.

BlueJet 02-12-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dann (Post 155805)
Right you need my grandads trick this works and whenever i have a bad throat i have one of these.

1" of whiskey in a glass
1 table spoon of honey
squert of lemon juice
2" of hot water

mix up in glass and drink slowly, you will feel it sooth ya throat. hmmmm called a hot toddy.

Dann

Dann......he isn't old enough to legally drink!! Trying to get him in trouble with his parents?? :gy:

Dann 02-12-2010 10:39 AM

if he can walk n talk he can drink 16 is the age her for legal drink, and besides its only a bit of whiskey not excatly gonna get p lashed lol

wermbang 02-12-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dann (Post 155805)

1" of whiskey in a glass
1 table spoon of honey
squert of lemon juice
2" of hot water

Dann

Just leave out the whiskey since your too young. Honey and lemon really help me.

angshan 02-12-2010 11:24 AM

when my son came down with mono we had to take him to the hospitol and they gave him a shot of steroids, he said that helped him incredibly. other than that warm tea helps me.

MightyBlueRam 02-12-2010 12:08 PM

The honey and lemon works pretty good for me. Hope you feel better soon. And be careful who you have them relations with next time. :LOL:

erm 02-12-2010 12:27 PM

Hang in there, Alex. I know that a sore throat is no fun. Sounds like you got some good advice there.

Strep is viral I believe so there's not much beyond gargling, ibuprophen, warm tea and honey that you can do.

GTyankee 02-12-2010 12:53 PM

NON Dr GT here
Chamomile tea is one of the best natural remedies for strep throat. Its analgesic properties can provide rapid relief for throat pain and headaches. Administered every few hours, chamomile tea can also reduce fever and prevent dehydration

If you want a lozenge with actual pain-numbing power, look for one that contains benzocaine, such as Cepacol or Chloraseptic,
Mix one teaspoon of salt (no more or you'll dry out your throat!) in a pint of warm (never hot) water. To gargle, start by taking in a deep breath. Pour a small amount of salt water into your mouth and tilt your head back. Let air bubble out slowly to create the garling effect. If it's noisy, it's right. Gargle as often as you like.

drink V-8 juice with garlic mixed in
toss your old tooth brush away & use a new one