DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Direct Wiring A Radar Detector (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48295)

Quiet Lunatic 02-17-2010 02:56 AM

Direct Wiring A Radar Detector

I want to direct-wire (sometimes called "hardwiring") my radar detector to the Integrated Power Module (fuse panel) under the hood of my 2010 Laramie using a device commonly called "add-a-circuit". ( This could also be a way to connect a GPS device.) I was wondering if anyone here knows a thing or two about this? Assume I know what I'm doing for the sake of this discussion,please. To do this, I will have to feed a wire through the firewall. Not exactly in a big hurry to poke a hole in my new baby's firewall! I hope you can understand!!! Anyway, I was looking around under the hood tonight. Kinda trying to figure this out. On the drivers side firewall there's a brake fluid reservoir attached to a round, black, metal tank-looking thing I'm not sure what is does. Obviously something to do with the brakes, but anyway. Back to my question; on the firewall, next to and to the left of the mystery brake tank thing is a 4" x 2" black plastic piece I might think could be called a "blank plug". It fills a punched out hole in the firewall. Maybe where clutch hydraulics go on manual tranny models? Anyone? Bueller? Does anyone know if I can fish a wire through a hole I make in this plug in the firewall? Does anyone have a better idea? Does anyone have a better way of direct wiring? I will be grateful for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks!

Hud

RamTech 02-17-2010 05:43 AM

You need to be sure that your device uses a 12V power supply before attempting this. My Garmin GPS uses a 5V power supply and when I hard wired it in I had to gut the plug, remove the fuse holder and solder in new wires so I could tap into a 12V source.

Excoastie 02-17-2010 08:52 AM

have you considered just adding a power outlet under the dash somewhere? that is what I did. I ran my wires so that they were out of the way, then added a power outlet under the dash that I could plug in to, I even set it up so that it'll go off when the key get's turned off (I tapped in to the acc circuit). I've done this on several vehicles (same detector for 2 trucks).

I've been considering doing this for my GPS too, as I hate having the wires hanging from the mirror when I'm using the GPS.

good luck

Exco

Quiet Lunatic 02-17-2010 11:58 AM

I think I have all the correct voltage, amperage, wiring, and fusing parts, pieces, etc.. I do not want to tap into a hotwire for any acc of an existing circuit. That would probably void my warranty. I know what I have to do, and how to do it. The thing I really want to know is where can I fish the power wire thru the firewall. There probably are not a lot of folks who have tried this to a new(er) Ram, but I bet there are some who know. Anyway, once I have finished this little project I will report back to you.

Hud

RamTech 02-17-2010 12:13 PM

If it were my truck, I would just tap into one of the accessory power outlets since you need a 12V source and it's really no different than plugging it in. It's pretty unlikely that would void your warranty unless the connection itself were to cause a problem and even then, they can't void your entire warranty for that.

dodgeman70592 02-17-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudnhudn (Post 158528)
I want to direct-wire (sometimes called "hardwiring") my radar detector to the Integrated Power Module (fuse panel) under the hood of my 2010 Laramie using a device commonly called "add-a-circuit". ( This could also be a way to connect a GPS device.) I was wondering if anyone here knows a thing or two about this? Assume I know what I'm doing for the sake of this discussion,please. To do this, I will have to feed a wire through the firewall. Not exactly in a big hurry to poke a hole in my new baby's firewall! I hope you can understand!!! Anyway, I was looking around under the hood tonight. Kinda trying to figure this out. On the drivers side firewall there's a brake fluid reservoir attached to a round, black, metal tank-looking thing I'm not sure what is does. Obviously something to do with the brakes, but anyway. Back to my question; on the firewall, next to and to the left of the mystery brake tank thing is a 4" x 2" black plastic piece I might think could be called a "blank plug". It fills a punched out hole in the firewall. Maybe where clutch hydraulics go on manual tranny models? Anyone? Bueller? Does anyone know if I can fish a wire through a hole I make in this plug in the firewall? Does anyone have a better idea? Does anyone have a better way of direct wiring? I will be grateful for any help anyone could provide.

Thanks!

Hud

I am assuming you are referring to the plastic cover next to the booster (black can thingy). Thats where I run my power wire for my audio equipment. You should be able to access this rather easily, but from the inside of the cab, that location looks like a smaller circle (at least mine does). I agree with Randy on checking the power supply (just in case) and make sure you fuse that booger.

Quiet Lunatic 02-17-2010 06:37 PM

Direct Wiring A Radar Detector

Thanks! So, you're telling me that you had to access the hole through the firewall from the inside of the cab, right? That would mean I will be standing on my head and working under the dash! Oh well, I was going to have to anyway. Ought to be fun!
I was an aircraft electrician in the Navy a few decades ago. I have experience with these things. I have the hardwire kit that came with the detector. The add-a-circuit is rated for a maximum of 10 amps. I am going to tap into the circuit for the overhead console illumination that runs off the acc power source (not directly from the battery). It is rated at 5 amps, the detector will have it's own fuse, rated at 3 amps. The detector requires a 12V power supply. This will be really simple, I just wanted to be careful about making any holes in my truck that weren't done at the factory! Ya know?

dodgeman70592 02-17-2010 07:42 PM

I kow what ya mean, good luck with everything. Take some pics and do an install writeup on it for others who may want to do that also if ya can...

GTyankee 02-17-2010 07:53 PM

I believe that i saw someone post that there was a BOOT around the steering column under the hood, if i remember correctly, they said that the boot has a nipple somewhere on it, they clipped that nipple, ran a wire through it & resealed the nipple with the wire passed through

caper10 06-17-2010 09:12 PM

On my previous vehicle I hardwired into a switched 12V source in the overhead console. I'm looking to do the same on my new RAM. Anyone have any instructions on the overhead console removal and a possible 12V switched source in there?