DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   Erratic shifting (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48544)

Rider12 02-22-2010 02:30 PM

Erratic shifting

My 5.9 cummins 24 valve has been acting strangely during highway driving, it will randomly unlock the tourque converter re-lock numerous times for no apparent reason, it will sometimes shift out of overdrive into drive for no apparent reason, it will also sometimes randomly shut off the cruise control itself, and every once in a while the rpm guage will go nuts jumping all over the place before returning to normal. I already know that my tranny is working properly I was thinking maybe an engine speed sensor or something like that anybody ever run across something like this?

RamTech 02-22-2010 02:56 PM

Check the ECM and TCM for codes? What year is the truck?

iRESQu 02-22-2010 03:18 PM

Hello and welcome to the Forumz.

Rider12 02-22-2010 04:44 PM

sorry its a 99 and it is also chipped could that have anything to do with it?

2000 Ram 2500 02-23-2010 01:44 AM

Output shaft speed sensor/Vehicle speed sensor can cause everything you are describing. Whether it is located on the tranny or the rear axle on your application though...I cannot answer.

Rider12 02-26-2010 04:57 PM

Could a transmission temperature sensor gone bad cause what I am describing also, I just thought that a bad output speed sensor would keep the tansmission from shifting out of first, not sure though

Skipp 02-28-2010 02:39 AM

Had the same problem with my 2001 diesel.

It would shift in and out of gears and sometimes wouldn't shift up.

Took it to Dodge and turns out it was a sensor in the transmission

$600 later it was fixed.

RamTech 02-28-2010 09:33 AM

I can't imagine the speed sensor causing the tach to go haywire.

grglry 05-01-2011 07:59 PM

My 1999 3500 seems to shift in and out of overdrive by itself and doesn't seem to know which gear it wants to stay in. I was told it may be a grownding problem from any cable that go to the main computer .

DODGECUMMINSWOODY 05-22-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rider12 (Post 161435)
My 5.9 cummins 24 valve has been acting strangely during highway driving, it will randomly unlock the tourque converter re-lock numerous times for no apparent reason, it will sometimes shift out of overdrive into drive for no apparent reason, it will also sometimes randomly shut off the cruise control itself, and every once in a while the rpm guage will go nuts jumping all over the place before returning to normal. I already know that my tranny is working properly I was thinking maybe an engine speed sensor or something like that anybody ever run across something like this?

I was just woundering if you got the issue fixed because I'm having the same issue except below 50 mph