DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Info for diy flip kit (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48588)

metalguysteveo 02-22-2010 11:43 PM

Info for diy flip kit

You dont have to buy a high dollar flip kit to lower your truck.
I purchased a belltech real axle flip kit.The kit came with saddles,u-bolts and hardware,u-bolt plates,shackles, and bump stops.

First off,suspension is no place to skimp but there are ways to "cut corners" if thats the direction you wish to go.Heres the deal:

Its possible to reuse most of the stock hardware and theres a few different pointers depending how low you wish to go.

1.if you want an extremely drastic drop,no shackles are needed.stock u-bolts and locking nuts are reusable as well as u-bolt plates or if you get a thick flat piece of steel all you would need to do it cut it into the size or the stock one so you can bolt the axle to the leafsprings.from there to do it the safe way all you would need is the axle saddles to go between the axle and leafspring.

2.For a lesser drop you can buy universal shackles from any autozone and will give you the option of adjusting your drop but all the steps above will be the same but either option you choose you will need to buy or make brackets to relocate/extend where the bottom of the rear shock mounts so it doesnt bottom out.

BLACK07 02-23-2010 03:55 PM

hmmm this idea seems familiar

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48583

hahaha

metalguysteveo 02-24-2010 01:13 AM

lol yea sorry for the multiples there i just figured it would be easier for people to locate if i posted a new thread...just didnt think about it until after that post lol

ssteadman09 02-24-2010 01:43 AM

on all flip kits you MUST notch the frame, if not the axle will be riding on the frame.. yes you can use all original equipment but you still have to notch the frame..

metalguysteveo 02-24-2010 02:14 AM

You dont have to c-notch the frame depending on how low you go.THe origonal drop the belltech flip kit only dropped the rear 3.5-4" and gave me still left 3-4 inches between the axle and the frame.I weigh 240lbs and jumping up and down on the rear bumper they never touched eachother.Now going any lower than that yes you do but only a mild flip,no c-notch isnt needed.Now that i increased my drop to 7" i did do the c-notch but before that it was fine without.

ssteadman09 02-24-2010 02:27 AM

with that setup, you only had 3 inches of travel until the axle and frame collided.. im sorry but i (like most people here) use my truck as a TRUCK.. put a boat behind that, or put an atv in the back, then tell me how much travel you have.. im telling you guys, a c-notch is a must if you do a flip kit.

BLACK07 02-24-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssteadman09 (Post 162501)
with that setup, you only had 3 inches of travel until the axle and frame collided.. im sorry but i (like most people here) use my truck as a TRUCK.. put a boat behind that, or put an atv in the back, then tell me how much travel you have.. im telling you guys, a c-notch is a must if you do a flip kit.

hey man, let's slow the roll a little bit. no need to be rude.

obviously the truck will still function for transportation without a c-notch. and not EVERYONE who drives a truck uses it to haul heavy stuff. some people just like something thats big and loud.

I personally drive around a race quad in my bed that weighs almost nothing, hardly compresses my suspension at all.

hawgfanman 02-24-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssteadman09 (Post 162501)

I've carried a pallet of stuff in the bed of my truck that weighed 1200# and I wasn't bottomed out. I've got the McGaughey's 2/4 drop. You can most definitely get by without a notch. I'm on my third dropped third gen Ram and I've never had problems with bottoming out.

ssteadman09 02-25-2010 07:30 AM

well guys, i didnt mean to come off rude, i was just giving a heads up ya know? ive lowered only 2 ram 3rd gens.. and both needed a cnotch... but black 07 is correct, some do not use their trucks as trucks.. sorry again guys

BLACK07 02-25-2010 08:46 AM

it's cool man, and I really do appreciate your input.

just remember that this is an online forum so you gotta be extra carefully how you word things because people are just going to be reading and not hearing how you actually voice it.

I'm actually considering c-notching my truck now after I lower it just to ensure a smoother ride and not bottoming out... I'll probably have to wait a while though... no $$$