DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   How bad are the auto's in a 2nd gen ram? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=48806)

Travis 02-27-2010 06:25 PM

How bad are the auto's in a 2nd gen ram?

I have a 99 ram 1500 sport, auto, 3 inch suspension lift, going to do the 360 engine swap, when we don't have a ton of snow here in west virginia. The truck had the auto trans rebuilt about 800 miles before I got it. New lines were run to avoid the check valve, as well as an after market trans cooler. I have always had a manual trans in all my vehilcles, and I am quite hesitant to put a lot of money in this truck as it is an auto, and everything I have read doesn't seem to favorable for them.
How reliable are these trans? I know it depends on type of driving, but the truck will get the occational offroad trip, towing a car trailer with a car, and probably hauling a 4 wheeler around as well. Will the trans hold up to this kind of abuse, or should I get a truck with a 5 speed? Also, if I do keep it, is an advance auto torque converter ok, or would there be a better place to get one that isn't 4 or 5 hundred dollars? Sorry about the long post, just wanting some more info about the reliablily with these transmissions. I am also planning to run 33x12.50 tires.

Thanks.

Dieselkiss 02-27-2010 07:03 PM

I haven't had my '99 very long so I can't speak with a lot of experience. That said, my truck has 186,000 miles on it and the 4spd auto box is incredibly smooth and responsive - even when she's cold.
I've heard after 100,000 you're on borrowed time, but I can't find anything in the history of this vehicle regarding gearbox issues/rebuilds so fingers crossed it stays reliable and smooth.

hemiv8dodgeram1500 02-27-2010 10:36 PM

2 transmissions in 250,000 miles

Toms Blue Ram 1500 02-27-2010 10:53 PM

I've had my trans rebuilt once by the dealer at 36,000 miles . I should say they half ass rebuilt it . Then right around 110,00 miles it went up again . I pulled it and had someone go through it and put in all the updates that were available for it . So far so good . No issues worth complaining about . I've said if it goes up again , it's getting a 5 speed .

strang3majik 02-28-2010 02:46 AM

change the fluid and filter at regular intervals, and turn the overdrive off when towing and you'll be okay. Also, if it shifts down constantly when going up hills and all, just turn the overdrive off.
If you do all that...she'll last you a good while.

Now, I don't tow anything with this truck (doesn't have a hitch), nor is there hills in FL...lol But, this tranny takes a beating nearly everyday just from my type of driving, and, she'll still shift crisply every gear (knocks wood). And, if you let it, it'll occasionally chirp 2nd :p (it does have a shift kit, but still)...haha.

But, this is the original tranny at 149,000 miles.

zzz 02-28-2010 03:23 AM

Had my 2500 for 3yrs try took a dump on me around 180thousand miles. I changed the oil every 3000 miles. In them three years i was hard on her, haulen cattle to 1 ton bails. And most was in muddy terrain where i should have been usen a tractor:smiley_thumbs_up: But when the tranny goes make sure that you find a good shop, the one that did mine sucked:smiledown: Been through 5 trannys now, cause the shop never replaced or flused the raditor. If you keep up on maintance and get a good temp gauge she'll do you right, oh and a shift kit.

RamTech 02-28-2010 09:23 AM

The 46RE isn't the best trans Chrysler ever put out and the results on durability are a mixed bag. I've seen the later models do well but the '99's weren't terribly great. I have seen vavle bodies crack under the pressure of shift kits on trucks with big tires and modded engines. If you plan to do any serious wheeling, I'd recommend the manual.

Dieselkiss 02-28-2010 09:38 AM

Ok people....what is a shift kit?

DarkRam01 02-28-2010 04:38 PM

i have an 01 5.2 with 120k miles and the tranny is actin up, shifts great (sometimes) sometimes have to left off the gas for it to shift 1-2 or 2-3 and also it takes off in 2nd gear sometimes so.... i dunno. still love my truck :)

Travis 02-28-2010 05:58 PM

I don't plan to do any serious wheeling, just the occational offroad trip, on trails through mud, maybe some hill climbs, and maybe crossing the river now and then. I just want something that will last for a little while at least. Main reason for the truck, is to pull a car trailer with my Trans am for auto x and drag racing events. The trans had the master rebuild kit put in by an ASE certified mechanic about 800 miles ago