DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Brake light won't shut off (RAM 1500) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49011)

mike223 03-03-2010 12:18 PM

Brake light won't shut off (RAM 1500)

Hi
Iím new to the forum and have a problem with my truck.
I just bought an 03 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab in July 09, (first truck) and have an issue with the brake lights.
They will not turn off. Once I step on the brake pedal for the first time they stay on all the time. I have to plug the trailer light adaptor in and cross the ground to the brake light pin to short them out to turn them off.
What Iíve done so far is cleaned all the grounds I could find under the hood, 4 of them. Cleaned with WD40 the connections from the main harness connector under the driver side wheel well and the light connectors. I have also removed and tested the brake switch under the dash as well as installed a new one to test it, all with the same result.
Any ideas as to what the issue might be

Kens04 03-03-2010 01:53 PM

The brake switch behind your pedel would have been my first guess and sounds like you went well beyond that. Have you tried sticking your tow under the pedel and lifting up on it to see if they go out? Sometimes they have threads on them for adjustment and just needs a little TLC. Didnt want you to think your question was going unanswered. Im sure others will have some ideas too.

Well....welcome to the forum :4-dontknow:

RamTech 03-03-2010 02:33 PM

I'm also going with the bad brake light switch theory.

GTyankee 03-03-2010 02:56 PM

Welcome to the forumZ
sorry to hear about your problem with the brake lights, & i don't have a proper answer for you to try, BUT, next time I suggest that you use a product called Lectra-Clean, there is no residue & its made by several companies & sold in all parts stores.
now my rant :thk:
i learned long ago that WD-40 can be a wonderful tool, if you want to displace water , like when you have gone to the car wash & somehow got water into your spark plug wire boots or into your distributor, its also good to spray your hand tools before & after using them around automotive batteries. WD = water displacement, the 40 just means it was the 40th experimental solution that finally passed the US military specifications, its made up of mostly a solvent & petroleum jelly

Kens04 03-03-2010 02:59 PM

mmmmm, jelly!

CdnoilRAM 03-03-2010 03:34 PM

I'd check that the pedal is coming all the way back out of the brake switch. If that's fine then my only other thought is that you've got a constant power sourse crossed with the switch when you activate the brakes.

mike223 03-03-2010 08:01 PM

thanks for the reply guys, I went a little further then lifting the pedal with my toe, i pulled the switch out and opened and closed it manualy, did nothing.
thanks again

Kens04 03-04-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike223 (Post 166890)
thanks for the reply guys, I went a little further then lifting the pedal with my toe, i pulled the switch out and opened and closed it manualy, did nothing.
thanks again

Damn, keep us posted. Any other ideas anyone?

mike223 03-22-2010 07:39 PM

hey guys. sorry i haven't been on in a while, been pretty busy. Got the issue fixed. The wiring for the trailer lights were corroding a little and this caused a short in the instrument cluster which was feeding a 4 volt reading o the headlights, it all runs through the cluster. cost me $1280.00 at the dealership to get it fixed. The mechanics worked on it for three days trying to figure it out....they were happy to see it leave their shop.

Excoastie 03-23-2010 04:57 PM

glad that you got the problem fixed, sorry that it cost you $1200 to do it

Exco