DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Spark plugs (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49100)

icephreaq 03-05-2010 10:08 AM

Spark plugs

I just hit the 30k mile mark on my truck and according to the Dodge recommended service schedule it's time to replace the top 8 plugs. I was wondering if you guys had any advice on plug brand. I'm leaning toward a DIY install on these but have also considered just taking her in to the dealer. Any advice will be welcome!

RamTech 03-05-2010 10:12 AM

NGK is what's factory installed and they've been a favorite of mine since long before Chrysler started using them. The top 8 are pretty easy to to if you have basic hand tools. Running a can of sea Foam through the intake and cleaning the throttle body would be a good idea before changing the plugs.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 03-06-2010 01:33 AM

^^ Agreed^^

icephreaq 03-07-2010 05:22 PM

So, apparently my local Autozone doesn't carry any spark plugs that can be used in my truck. I find this rather odd. I live in Memphis and have yet to find anyone who sells NGK plugs as well! Looks like I may be headed to the dealership after all :-/

txlnghrn10 03-10-2010 02:35 PM

Try ordering them on Summit or Jegs

txlnghrn10 03-10-2010 02:35 PM

How do you run the seafoam through the intake?

Kens04 03-10-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txlnghrn10 (Post 170749)
How do you run the seafoam through the intake?

Take the large vacume hose off of the brake booster and slowly pour the seafoam into the hose with the truck running, about a third of the can and let her die. Plug the hose back up, sit for 5 mins. and start her up. Will prbably smoke, but mine didnt oddly enough.

RamTech 03-10-2010 02:53 PM

Pick a vacuum port close to the throttle body and plug in a hose and put the other end in the can. Fire it up and let it pull the Sea Foam into the intake. You may need to restrict the hose a bit to keep from flooding the engine. Put some in your fuel tank as well to clean the fuel system.

Kens04 03-10-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 170763)
Pick a vacuum port close to the throttle body and plug in a hose and put the other end in the can. Fire it up and let it pull the Sea Foam into the intake. You may need to restrict the hose a bit to keep from flooding the engine. Put some in your fuel tank as well to clean the fuel system.

Hey Randy, do you know if its recomended to only run seafoam every so many miles? I did mine last week and know my shits dirty but had hardly any smoke. When I pulled the PCV valve it was practically caked with oil thicknes/ carbon build up dont know what you want tyo call it.

MRRMX 03-10-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 167744)
NGK is what's factory installed and they've been a favorite of mine since long before Chrysler started using them. The top 8 are pretty easy to to if you have basic hand tools. Running a can of sea Foam through the intake and cleaning the throttle body would be a good idea before changing the plugs.

When did Dodge drop Champion? Our 2004 rams at work have Champions as a factory plug.