DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192)
-   -   07 dodge ram vibration (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49148)

miroj 03-06-2010 02:26 PM

07 dodge ram vibration

Any advice on my situation. 07 dodge ram 4x4 SLT crew cab with 20" wheels. When I purchased the vehical, it had 17,000 miles with a slight vibration coming through the truck. Nothing through the steering wheel. I had the dealer replace all the front bushings and two tie rods and balance the wheels. There was a slight vibratation over 65 mph still. I puchased new Bridgestone Dueler A/T. Still the same vibration. Went to the dealer and they placed sensors all over the vehical and determined the wheels needed rebalancing. Did that again and same vibration. They are now going to do a road force wheel balance? I don't think that is the problem??? Any thoughts...

Thanks, Miro

erm 03-06-2010 02:39 PM

I've been through this with an added complication - a 3" block lift in the back. I've replaced two tires (one took almost a pound of weight to balance, the other almost 7/8ths of a pound! The new ones took a lot less.), four road force balances (one for both rears with the old tires, one for both rears with the new tires) and I still get a rolling vibration at around 65 as well.

My tire guy now wants to swap the tires to the front to eliminate the wheel/tire combo as the source. I have no vibration in the front.

I do not carry a load in the back but it's not suspension judder due to a light rear load and the blocks. I replaced the shocks, which dampened it a bit but it's still there and annoying.

Maybe swap your fronts to the rear and vice versa and see what happens. That's what I am gonna do next week.

Then, if that's not the problem I'll go see a 4WD shop in the area who was recommended to me by another guy with a lifted 3/4T Ram who had the same problem. If they say it's an output shaft bearing, driveline balance problem or an input shaft bearing problem, I'll then go to the dealer and get some warranty work done. Otherwise, I'll stay away from those guys unless I really need the work.

And I hope I get this resolved soon. I've been chasing this since I got the truck in mid-January and I have a road trip coming up!

GTyankee 03-06-2010 03:10 PM

Welcome to the forumZ
a Road Force Wheel Balance is actually better than any other type of balance test, a normal test is more for adding wheel weights to keep the rim in balance, more than anything else
a Road Force Wheel Balance is not about weights at all, it actually discovers how ROUND the tire is, while under normal load conditions, tire manufacturers make many so called egg shaped tires because poor quality control,
if tires are not the problem, its could be bad joints on your drive shaft, don't buy them from any auto parts house chain, the joints there are made with .030 tolerances, where a GOOD joint has a much tighter fit & only costs about $3.00 more a piece
I hope you find what is causing your vibration soon

erm 03-06-2010 03:21 PM

Yeah, we did the road force, dismounted the tires and rotated them on the wheels for a better balance. We'll see what the tire swap does.

Toms Blue Ram 1500 03-06-2010 03:23 PM

I would hope they've checked the obvious : bent axles , u-joints , driveshaft balance , pinion angle , mounts , rotor and or brake drum runout .

miroj 03-06-2010 04:50 PM

the dealer did check all the brakes for run out. All the brakes are also brand new. They claim everything has check out fine, bent axles, etc. They confirmed this with there sensors they placed throughout the vehical and determined the wheels are causing the vibration. I have never experienced something so annoying on a stock truck? :( 70-80mph vibration occurs.

ScatPak07 03-06-2010 07:54 PM

I dont know if this helps you but i have a vibration when I turn 4x4 on. They said my front half shafts are on too much of an angle with my 2"spacer up front. They replaced them and my front driveshaft and still it happens

Toms Blue Ram 1500 03-06-2010 08:28 PM

Well then I would rotate them from front to back and so forth like Maddog said and see if the vibration moves . If it does then they're right . I thought I remember a TSB on driveline vibration maybe something about pinion angle . I'll look and see what i can find and get back to ya .

Kens04 03-08-2010 12:50 PM

Give this site a try:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2007-index.htm

Incognito 03-09-2010 12:47 AM

I'd stick with what the dealer recommends for the moment, if the force balance doesn't cut it then look elsewhere. Considering they replaced the bushings and you have new tires, I'd say that it may possibly be a driveline issue.