DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What am I paying for when dealer does Fuel Injection Clean and Throttle Body clean? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49267)

scooper77515 03-08-2010 07:07 PM

What am I paying for when dealer does Fuel Injection Clean and Throttle Body clean?

They are $150 each, plus or minus, and I see $15 in "parts" for the fuel injection cleanup, which I got today. Labor is $134. What exactly is being done in the hour they have my truck?

Same question for Throttle body clean...what do they do, and is it something I could do at home for the $15 in parts?

lrn2ski 03-08-2010 08:46 PM

Here's my educated guess:
$15 for the bottle of injector cleaner they pour in your fuel tank, $100 is the hourly shop labor rate, $34 for tax and because. . . it's Monday (?). Most shops have a 1 hr. minimum shop rate, so if it only takes 30 seconds to pour the bottle in the tank they still charge for a full hour.

I tend to be rather cynical when it comes to Dealership service departments, so I may be way off on this. I have a mechanic friend who worked in a service dept. and the shop loved it when somebody would come in needing a new serpentine belt: 5min. job, 1 hr. labor charge.

CdnoilRAM 03-08-2010 08:50 PM

You can do this all yourself. A good injector cleaner every 3-4 fill ups will keep you in good shape, and for cleaning the throttle body all you need is some degreaser and a soft bristled brush.

Zekery360 03-08-2010 09:37 PM

You are probably paying for a can of Mopar injector cleaner, the hour it takes to run said cleaner through your fuel injection system, and labor w/tax. If you want to avoid paying so much, you can probably just add some ATF to your full gas tank every couple months, it has tons of detergents and such that can run through an engine just fine. Or Seafoam it. The difference is injector cleaner is a little more aggressive then the aforementioned products.

black beauty 03-08-2010 11:12 PM

a expensive bottle of injector cleaner that they'll just pour in the tank and one expensive can of throttle body cleaner if they do take it apart to clean it.
and yes you can do this all at home in the drive way.

ScatPak07 03-08-2010 11:18 PM

I agree with the other guys the dealership has a minumum charge time. I would not worry too much about it. Nect time DIY and you wont have to deal with the dealerships, since they always screw ya haha

Cprock 03-08-2010 11:40 PM

actually i worked in a service department at a dealership and we used a pressurized can of cleaner and disabled the fuel pump by pulling the fuse or relay and hooked it up the check valve in your fuel rails and ran the engine directly off that for a time of about 15 to 20 minutes and let it run until it died. we then let is soak in the injectors for about 10 minutes while reinstalling the fuse or relay and then cleaned the throttle body with a spay that came with the kit and put and additive in the tank, which is no were close to transmission fluid which will cause it to smoke a lot and probably damage your o2 senor or converter after repeated use, but hey those are just my thoughts

yes you can clean it yourself at home with a kit from a parts store or additives in the tank which i would highly recommend lucas fuel treatment or seafoam.

Incognito 03-09-2010 01:36 AM

Back when I worked at GM when we did a fuel injection system service it involved connecting a machine directly to the fuel rails, disabling the fuel pump and running an additive through the fuel lines to purge any impurities. Although I honestly feel that it was a real service compared to dumping a bottle of additive in your fuel tank, I also feel that it was unnecessary for most vehicles we worked on. Most fuels out there have some sort of additive in the petrol that helps keep the fuel system clean. Just use the recommended octane rating on your vehicle and you should be fine.

scooper77515 03-09-2010 08:17 AM

Thanks a BUNCH!!! all of you, even the cynical one (which I am also, which is why I asked this question!)

I assumed I was being scammed, and figured this would be the last time.

I will still pay to have someone else replace the 16 spark plugs. That just isn't a fun job, and my arms look like I have taken a cheese-grater to them when I am done.

lrn2ski 03-09-2010 11:49 AM

Thanks Cprock and Incognito for the explanation. It restores a little bit of faith in Dealership service departments. I guess if I decide to do some extensive driving in a third world country (I've heard horror stories), this $150 procedure would probably do a better job than anything sold in a bottle at Pep Boys.

BTW, Lucas fuel treatment is what I use too. I've used Seafoam in my motorcycle with great results as well.