DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2009 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49323)

Medic1 03-10-2010 12:18 AM

Magnaflow vs. Flowmaster

I am torn between the two, and a few options of each....either a 14" or 18" Magnaflow or a Original 40 or 50 Flowmaster.

I understand the pros and cons of each but can't seem to find alot of evidence that helps me out personally. I don't have the dual exhaust and most vids I find are of dual exhaust Rams. I have to imagine they sound somewhat different.

Heres what I know: Magnaflow 18" is quieter than the 14", Flowmaster 50 series was designed for engines like the hemi, but is quieter than the original 40.

I would like to hear specifically about interior drone with these exhausts. I used to have a 88 mustang 5.0 with Original 40 Flowmasters and I have always loved the flowmaster sound, but now I also have a newborn to go along with my truck so I want that to be a consideration as well!

I want the bark I have always loved, but I don't want to have a irritable baby after a road trip either!! Growing up sucks :i_rolleyes:

bones64 03-10-2010 08:14 AM

I choose the Magnaflow for warrantty but mainly for sound. Everyone has a different opinion on sound. Saying this....thats what i would base my final decision on.:smileup:

erm 03-10-2010 08:17 AM

I have a Magnaflow single in / dual out muffler on my HEMI. I like the Magnaflow sound vs. the Flowmaster. It just sounds a bit more refined and is less intrusive in the cab.

Drone can be a problem with any aftermarket muffler but it's easy to attenuate with a resonator at the end of each tailpipe.

I have a MegaCab so no MDS so no drone. :)

canuckboy 03-10-2010 08:39 AM

I agree with you guys. I go Magnaflow for warranty and the fact that they have great affordable stainless systems, but if you want an outright knarly loud sounding truck go with the Flowmaster.

Out of the two I think Flowmaster sounds louder and therefor better but thats just opinion. Magnaflow seems to have a nice smooth lower tone which is easier on the ears and sounds more "factory" if you will.

Listen to some good quality sound clips and see what systems you can for cheaper and go from there.

Good luck and keep us posted!

hauser775 03-10-2010 08:50 AM

The flowmaster 50 has almost the same sound as the 40 just quieter. And you can never go wrong with a flowmaster muffler

City Slicker 03-10-2010 10:05 AM

I chose Magnaflow because of the warranty and overall sound.

Medic1 03-10-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bones64 (Post 170635)
I choose the Magnaflow for warrantty but mainly for sound. Everyone has a different opinion on sound. Saying this....thats what i would base my final decision on.:smileup:

When speaking of the Magnaflow warranty are you talking about the actually warranty provided by Magnaflow or something to do with the actual Chrysler warranty?

Also, I have heard some conflicting reports that removing the resonator causes error codes with some people, and others have had no issue. Alot of the people who have had the codes were told they had to pay out of pocket to put the stock muffler or resonator back on to have the code diagnosed. If I understand how the resonator works correctly it means that If I leave the resonator on to keep interior noise down then in order to get the same tone I would have to go with a louder muffler. Am I wrong in my thinking here? Since the 50 is quieter, if I leave the resonator on to avoid a chance of getting error codes and keep the interior drone down then I would probably be better off with a original 40?

Either I just didn't care way back when or didn't know any better but when I put my exhaust on the Mustang back in the day I don't remember there being this many choices and considerations!

Ryan 03-11-2010 07:01 AM

If your gonna have kids in your truck get the magnaflow 14" ive got two kids and its doesnt bother us at all, sleeping or trying to carry on a conversation... check this out... all i did was cut out my mufler and replace with a magnaflow!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjCn2kwUAs

Medic1 03-11-2010 10:45 PM

I have been leaning towards the 50 series flowmasters now. They seem a little quieter than the classic aggressive flowmaster growl of say a original 40. Will I still get a nice sound if I put on a 50 HD but leave the resonator on? Or will I need to remove the resonator too? As I said above, I have read a few threads of people getting error codes after a new exhaust with resonator removal and wonder how common it is?

MiRamDriver 03-12-2010 08:40 AM

I like the borla...