DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Header Question (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49517)

ScatPak07 03-14-2010 01:53 PM

Header Question

Hello guys! Hows it goin? :Hey:

Well I was looking for headers and I found a set up that I really liked. I am going to with long tube headers since it will make the best power. I wanted to know if OBX headers are any good. I was originaly going to go with Dynatech but I found a set of OBX headers for cheap.

So if anyone has heard anything good or bad about these headers please let me know. They are stainless steal which is what I was going for.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!! :smileup:

MotorCityRam 03-14-2010 04:40 PM

If not planning any additional mods to the motor, you MIGHT be better off w/ a 1 5/8" primary tube header. From the little bit I could find online, these being 1.75" ain't bad. That's what I'd be looking at eventually for some room for additional mods.

ScatPak07 03-14-2010 10:04 PM

Whats the difference between the two?

MotorCityRam 03-14-2010 10:20 PM

Kinda boils down to displacement and power. The smaller of the two will work better for average hp of a 5.7L (pre 4th gen). Stock to high 300s tops IMO (even there a 1.75 kinda seems to make sense). Too big and you lose the scavenging you need for the header to work effectively. Too small and you just choke power.

Without spending a bunch of time and money matching your cam, exhuast, etc it's a bit of a crap shoot either way but, IMO, anywhere near 400 crank hp and you should be considering 1.75" primary if you're planning to continue w/ mods. A stepped header would be kinda cool but I haven't seen anything available like that yet.

Kooks make headers for the Ram's?

ScatPak07 03-14-2010 10:28 PM

Well I do have a CAI programmer and exhaust on now. I wil be doing other stuff down the road like cams. So I currently have 400+ the crank

MotorCityRam 03-14-2010 10:32 PM

If you're planning a cam, what you're looking at is probably a good choice primary tube size wise.

ScatPak07 03-14-2010 10:34 PM

Ok cool thanks man. Have you heard anything about OBX before? I want to know if they are god or not? Thats will help me decide what to do here haha

MotorCityRam 03-14-2010 10:51 PM

Never heard of 'em. It'll boil down to build quality. Do the welds at the flange protrude into the primary diameter too much, poor fit, etc. The collectors look a little truncated or short but nothing vastly different from what the rest of the market is offering.

All this just my opinion based on the header pics and yeÓrs of building small block fords.

ScatPak07 03-14-2010 10:55 PM

Thanks a lot man, I appreciate all the help. I think I will go ahead with these. Maybe within the next few weeks. So I will have a thread on here when I install them, then I'll find out if hey are any good haha

CHVYKLR 03-14-2010 11:01 PM

You will be good with either size unless you are thinking about forced induction sometime in the future...then I would get the larger tubes for your 5.7. As an example I have some 1 5/8 JBA long tubes on my mustang that makes 490rwhp on a street tune and they flow just fine.

Tried to find some info on OBX and the reviews I read were ok. Some from Nissan owners and even one from a Corvette guy. They are made out of 304 s/s so that is good but I couldn't find them for a Dodge Ram (on their website). Ok I'm an idiot. I found them on google.

Unless you have some money burning a whole in your pocket I would maybe wait and see if you can come across a good deal on one of the more well know brands or (and I know you want long tubes) a get a good tuned short/mid-length....IMHO.

If I find anything else I'll let you know. If you go ahead with the OBXs let us know what you think about the quality and fitment.