DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.2L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=172)
-   -   Transmission won't shift. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=49518)

jayc3169 03-14-2010 02:35 PM

Transmission won't shift.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 164,000 miles.I got the truck from my mom, she said it used to drive normal, then one day it wouldn't shift. She said, no codes, no lights, nothing strange happened it just stopped shifting one day. I can get it to shift, but have to be going over 30mph and rev up over 4,000rpms, let the rpms drop below 2,000rpms then slowly bring them up, all while keeping the truck over 30mph. I've changed the Governor solenoid and sensor, speed sensor, and filter and fluid and it still does it. The trans magnet had a significant amount of shavings on it, but nothing serious. I was thinking valve body, but it shifts smooth when I bring the rpms up. OD works, 1 and 2 works properly, it down shifts properly, just doesn't up shift. Any solutions?

dropt02 03-14-2010 03:41 PM

i had similar prob on my truck before the trans went out, i was drivin home form work and it revved rly hi and it was in drive, so i put it in 2nd u had to drive it in first and second but 3rd clutches were wore out. so when u changed the fluid what color was it and did it smell have any brown lil pieces come out?

oh yeah forgot to mention it did fine til i changed the fluid and filters in it, bc when i bought the truck has 102k miles on it and fluid was never changed the trans did what i said above 2 weeks later. sometimes when fluid was never changed the gum and build up is holdin it form slipping and when u put clean fluid it in they do strange things

99kcram 03-16-2010 11:18 PM

ok did you replace the sensor on the trans or the rear dif cuz this happened to me 5 days ago and i did the one on the trans nothing happened then went back and got the sensor that goes on top of the rear dif and that did the trick i think it was 53 bucks or something hope this helps

lucky13g 03-21-2010 11:12 PM

well its a long shot but try to reset your computer

Iggy 04-22-2010 12:35 AM

I would say ajust the bands. Could be that the bands getting loose.

Iggy 04-22-2010 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropt02 (Post 172908)
oh yeah forgot to mention it did fine til i changed the fluid and filters in it, bc when i bought the truck has 102k miles on it and fluid was never changed the trans did what i said above 2 weeks later.

Yup, you go it. When you let the tranny fluid go longer then it should (regarding changing the fluid) and then change it, the metal particles act as a gripping surface for the frictions to hold on to. So naturally, when you change the fluid, well, thats when the flood gates open.

dillansmith 07-23-2013 05:14 PM

this is an old thread but I thought i'd put in my two cents. I had the same prob I think...or at least close. my truck is a 99 1500 5.9l. I believe the tranny is the 46re. My problem was: it started not shifting from 2nd to 3rd. to get it to shift I would have to either manually put it into 2nd or neutral....then back into drive. once it shifted to third it would work fine. and a couple of times seemed like it didn't shift back into first, so it was a laggy start. and it didn't happen every time either. I felt like if I accelerated slowly it would work most of the time. but if I was in a hurry then it would fail almost every time....sooo

the fix: I watched a couple videos and read some threads and came up with changing the Governor pressure solenoid and the pressure sensor. And thought id take a look at the bands and IF they looked REALLY loose...THEN I would try and adjust them.....well they WERE really loose...so I adjusted it. the one you can get to one by taking the pan off. either front or back. I cant remember, but I tightened that up.....SHIFTS LIKE A DREAM!

idk what fixed it, but if I had to put money on it I would bet on the band. I do know it is scheduled maintenance to have those tightened/adjusted. maybe some smarter guys on here can throw some links and what not on how to do it. or take it to a shop and have them do it.i'll prob take mine in to have it done professionally. it seemed like a precise adjustment and I just guestimated...figured I had nothing to lose. but now that its fixed ill get it done right. either way I spent 140$ on parts oil and filter.....and that's a whole lot cheaper then a new tranny. hope that helps