DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Clearing over a decal (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50339)

RumbleBee08 03-28-2010 10:05 AM

Clearing over a decal

Hey Gang,

I'm FINALLY getting ready to add a custom Rumble Bee stripe to my PB5 08' Ram 1500 regular cab. I'm going with a white butt stripe circa 1969, with the Rumble Bee center decal. I'm going to find a local airbrush guy to airbrush my lettering in to make it look like the 69 Bee letters with a custome touch. I want them 3D with color that match the Bee logo (yellow, black, puple highlights) and think it'll look pretty cool. Going top add some Bee badges too from a 69 to put on the bed and the grille. I'm real excited! Where was I? Oh yeah, my question: I'm going to lay out the stipe and paint it myself (I have my own paint booth) and wanted to know about placing the decal on them clearing over it. I've never done that and wondered how the decal would hold up under the Houston sun and more importantly, any prep work involved in clearing a decal? I don't want to spray it down them have some weird reaction take place and the thing start to bubble up. Thanks guys. I'll post some photos when I get it done. It may be another month since I'm still in the design phases of the stripe. :smileup:

Cheers (beer smiley)

Toms Blue Ram 1500 03-28-2010 10:12 AM

That will look awesome . Coming from someone who use to own a 69 Super Bee .

bones64 03-28-2010 10:32 AM

That sounds terrific. I have had a few problems with dick heads taking my bees off.Papernapkin gave me a idea using nailpolish..clear on the edges. I have inquired about clear and as far as i know it will work. Clear over the decals.They will be on good. Your whole bee idea sounds great. Looking forward to pics of the finished product.:smileup:

wermbang 03-28-2010 11:47 AM

That sounds like a good plan. Can't wait for pics.

DaveDees 03-28-2010 01:07 PM

To see if it would work try it in an inconspicuous area. I've never tried it because the chemicals from the paint may react with the vinyl and or the adhesive causing some major complications. If you have your own paint booth, why not just paint them on???

City Slicker 03-28-2010 01:52 PM

I'm also looking forward to the pics!!

GTyankee 03-28-2010 05:31 PM

RumbleBee, i think that i found your answer
http://www.finishing.com/364/80.shtml

RumbleBee08 03-28-2010 06:43 PM

The real concern of mine is the fading of the decal over time and the ability of the clear to adhere to it. I'm going to paint the stripes on since I have a specific design I am going for. I wish I could make a drawing of what I want to show you guys. I think it'll be cool. I guess if it does fade or look funny years later, I can always just put another Bee decal on top of it. Maybe the new plan will be to paint the stripes on then clear them. Add the decal so the decal is over a clear coat, then hire the airbrush guy to do the lettering detail and stripe accent colors. After that, clear over the entire thing again. That way the decal is over a clearcoat and not the basecoat stripe but everything is sealed with clear. I like the idea of the clear over the final stripe/decal for a few reasons: Prevents damage/vandalism of the decal and if bird poop gets on it, it's a matter of a simple wipe off. I don't have to worry about scratching a vinyl. I'll keep you guys posted. I'm excited. I should have it done next month depending on the airbrush dude. Thanks for the help!

ScatPak07 03-28-2010 07:27 PM

That sounds like it is going to be one bad ass stripe! I cant wait to see some pics of when it is done!! Hope all goes well man!!!

hemiv8dodgeram1500 03-28-2010 11:42 PM

i cant wait for pictures