DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Beating a dead horse (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50352)

blacklabde 03-28-2010 01:23 PM

Beating a dead horse

Sorry to beat the exhaust topic up, but I need yalls opinion. I am planning on eventually redoing the ENTIRE exhaust system from the headers back. However, I am going to have to wait since I have ordered a leveling kit and a CAI. Would you guys recommend replacing just the muffler putting a stainless tip on for a little better airflow and sound, or just wait until I can afford to do the whole thing. If I wait I am still going to put a stainless tip on to make it look better, but I am just not sure that changing just the muffler will improve the performance. What do you guys think?

Steve
Blacklabde

RamTech 03-28-2010 01:56 PM

Going to a free flow muffler will help a little but I'd wait until I could do it all at once. Otherwise you're just throwing money away in the long run.

chefred112 03-28-2010 02:55 PM

if you replace just the muffler, go with a stainless magnaflow (or comparable)...that way, when you redo the whole setup, you can still use the existing muffler..that's the route I took. Repalced just the muffler initially, then as I did more research on exhaust and understood more, I ended up redoing my whole setup but still retained the muffler i initally started with (til I got heads)

blacklabde 03-28-2010 03:58 PM

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I am going to look into that Stainless magnaflows this week. Will probably go that route with a stainless tip until I completely redo the exhaust.

Chefred112. Did just changing the muffler improve your performance whatsoever? Also how did it sound with keeping the stock pipe. Thanks again

Steve
Blacklabde

chefred112 03-28-2010 06:18 PM

it will improve performance right away (with a magnaflow)...the cheapest way to get better performance now would be to do a magnaflow dumped (AFTER axle...before it will be too loud and through stock tail piping will drone), and have your muffler guy make you a Y pipe to replace the stock one (mine took a 4" pipe and stretched it to make a Y)

beermanjoe 03-28-2010 06:18 PM

I straight piped the first resonator and replaced the muffler.The factory exhaust is 3" already. Mine has a nice rumble to it now.

ScatPak07 03-28-2010 06:21 PM

I think I would wait to get the whole cat back system. That is actualy what I did.

I did the same as beermanjoe. I made a delete pipe for the first resonator so it makes a little more noise! Just a little hahaha sure!

chefred112 03-28-2010 06:36 PM

I would look for an independent muffler shop to do the whole setup..catback systems are waayy overpriced... the last setup I put in, had new piping run through the cats to a true dual type setup with an H pipe to dual e-cutouts to a dual in/single out magnaflow dumped after axle...the only parts I supplied was the cutouts....muffler guy supplied the muffler, all piping, did all the welds and even flanged just before the cutouts (so I could remove the exhaust if I wanted too)... all for $250... you can't get a catback system for double the price..

blacklabde 03-28-2010 08:00 PM

Thanks fpr all the advice. I have a buddy with a Titan with the exhaust dumped right behind the muffler. I considered doing the same thing too, but I had heard that the hemi's are real loud in the cab with that setup. What kind of cutouts would you recomend?

chefred112 03-28-2010 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dmh's..if you do a dump..do it this way..