DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Better fuel economy? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50545)

jy12jones 03-31-2010 05:34 PM

Better fuel economy?

I own a stock 2004 Ram 2500 with the 5.9L HO Cummings and I was looking for a cheap way to increase fuel economy and was debating on getting a programmer from Ultimate Tuning and Performance but I don't know much about this brand. The website claims to increase up to +50 horsepower and +60 ft. pounds of torque while getting +5mpgs. Does anyone have any input on these? Attempting to avoid forking out hundreds of dollars on an air intake and exhaust.

City Slicker 03-31-2010 05:57 PM

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! To be honest, I've never heard of that brand either. I'd do some research on them and look for any feedback with other people's results. Sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more on a trusted name, rather than take the cheaper route and potentially damage your truck.

jy12jones 03-31-2010 06:44 PM

Yeah I have never heard of that brand but they are all over the place on ebay. I did find an Edge/Max Fuel for a decent price so I might just suck it up and get it. Thanks for the input.

City Slicker 03-31-2010 06:47 PM

No problem, keep us posted! :smileup:

CdnoilRAM 03-31-2010 07:00 PM

Welcome to the Z! Glad to have you on the board. If you want better mileage out of your 5.9L common rail, a 5" exhaust, CAI, and programmer will get you a good boost. I've set up a few cummins for friends and we've had great results with the BullyDog Power Pup and the Banks IQ. One guy who did a DPF delete used the H&S BlackMAXX to amazing results. I can't say I've heard of the Ultimate Performance tuner before, but I'd do some research before picking one up, gotta wonder why there's so many up on eBay.

jy12jones 03-31-2010 07:10 PM

I was trying to find a cheaper way of going about things but I guess if you want the right performance you definitely gotta pay for it.

City Slicker 03-31-2010 07:15 PM

You got that right :smileup: If you play your cards right, you should theoretically get your money in MPG gains... just something to think about

CdnoilRAM 03-31-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jy12jones (Post 185909)
I was trying to find a cheaper way of going about things but I guess if you want the right performance you definitely gotta pay for it.

If only it was that easy to do... sadly, ya gotta pay to get the gains you want, but when your 3/4 ton truck is making 24MPGs at highway speeds, then that nothing to scoff at.

cuda71 04-05-2010 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSPTYWCADET09 (Post 185869)
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! To be honest, I've never heard of that brand either. I'd do some research on them and look for any feedback with other people's results. Sometimes it's worth it to spend a little more on a trusted name, rather than take the cheaper route and potentially damage your truck.

Ya you definetly want to stick with a trusted name espeically when it comes to the programming of your trucks computer, too easy to screw that up, and I'm thinkin that will get into costly repairs. Spend a couple extra bucks and get a reputable brand.