DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2010 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   RUST issue with 2010 4x4 Ram Big Horn...anyone else having this issue (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50583)

SupermanWV 04-01-2010 10:45 AM

RUST issue with 2010 4x4 Ram Big Horn...anyone else having this issue

I have a 2010 4x4 Ram Big Horn, and I've only had it a couple weeks now. I am noticing after a rain, or after washing the wheels, that rust is coming out through the little chrome ram head hubs that are in the 20 inch rims.

I took the rim off and notice that the wheel hub is rusting around where the axle nut is. For the most part the metal in that area is like machined and very smoot and shinny, but it is starting to rust like any other rotor does. But for whatever reason, the water that gets in there doesn't drain out and it eventually spins out while driving and gets rusty water all over my wheel.

What can I do to prevent this? It happens on all 4 wheels. (4 Wheel disc brakes).

If anyone else is having this issue please tell me what you have done to fix it.

Thanks

Clark (SupermanWV)

RamTech 04-01-2010 10:49 AM

I'm guessing you have the chrome clad wheels. My suggestion is to get rid of them.

SupermanWV 04-01-2010 01:59 PM

No I have the 20 inch aluminum or alloy wheels. They are painted a metalic silver and have a plastic chrome Rams head cap in the center of the wheel. They are not the Chrome-Clad. The part that is rusting is where the rotor fits over the lug bolts and axle, and the axle nut actually shows. The machined/zinced part of the rotor is what is rusting. In the past that axle nut and stuff had a cap over it. It doesn't with the Dodge. But the water gets in and sits on that lip and rusts. Then when the tire moves it flings the rusty water out around the cap that is in the center of the wheel.

Clark (SupermanWV)

GTyankee 04-01-2010 02:09 PM

I have read several posts about the rust thing, everyone else seems to let the dealership know about it when the went for service or another problem. The dealerships have either fixed it or replaced the wheels. Some people have gone back with the same problem a second time
If you have the metal bumpers, check them too

SupermanWV 04-01-2010 02:11 PM

It's not the rim that is rusting. The hub area is rusting and the rusty water from that runs out the cap in the wheel and gets all over the wheel.

The wheels are alloy and will not rust.

Clark (SupermanWV)

RamTech 04-01-2010 03:32 PM

I've not personally seen this problem as of yet. Sealing up the center caps isn't an option, so I would recommend removing as much rust as possible from the hub and spraying it with a coat of Rustoleum and then reinstalling the wheels.

2500 HD 04-01-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 186499)
I've not personally seen this problem as of yet. Sealing up the center caps isn't an option, so I would recommend removing as much rust as possible from the hub and spraying it with a coat of Rustoleum and then reinstalling the wheels.

+1 :smileup::smileup:

bigdadsram 04-02-2010 03:45 AM

My wheels did the same thing. It looks like crap. For some reason these trucks rust very bad, very fast. I know they have had some issues with some of there vendor using poor quality metals and processes and chrysler has been moving to new vendors to try to get a handle on the rust issues.

cartert1975 04-02-2010 07:38 AM

I had the rusty hubs issue with my 2009. Didnt bother having the dealership look at it because I traded the truck after 6 months.

erm 04-02-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remerson228 (Post 186499)

+ + 2 :smileup::smileup: