DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   K&N Series (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50585)

GunMetal57 04-01-2010 11:07 AM

K&N Series

I did a search and haven't really been able to find a good response. The next mod is going to be a CAI but I can't figure out what the difference in the series is. How can there be 4 models that fit a 2003 Ram 1500 5.7 but one is like a 57, 77 and there are 2 others. Any help would be great, Thanks.

Barnyard 04-02-2010 10:59 AM

Check the materials. Some will have a steel/aluminum tube, others ABS plastic. The filter shape my differ as well.

GunMetal57 04-02-2010 11:46 AM

does a metal or plastic tube make a difference performance wise?

ScatPak07 04-02-2010 03:51 PM

I think the metal tube will withstand heat better making the air cooler that enters the engine. It will flow equal but heat transfer might be better in one than the other.

I have a S&B intake and love it. It is ABS and I have seen great gains with it. I do not think you have to worry that much material wise

CdnoilRAM 04-02-2010 06:13 PM

The difference with the K&N series is the heatshield and the intake tube. The cheaper CAI uses the bottom of the stock air box, where are the more expensive ones replace the stock air box entierly giving better airflow into the filter. Then you have options between a polished stainless tube and the plastic tube. The only difference between the two intake tubes is appearance, as there is no heat induction into the phlenum.

jkulysses 04-02-2010 06:20 PM

The 57 series uses plastic tubing and the 77 series is metal. K&N claims the 57 series actually makes a little more power than than the metal 77 series and it's a little cheaper than the 77 series so I'm not sure why they would lie about that but I could be wrong either way i don't think it would be a noticeable difference in seat of your pants power. Usually a metal tubed intake will sound a little louder than the plastic ones also.

Barnyard 04-02-2010 09:20 PM

The air is moving so fast within the CAI that the heat transfer rates of the various tube materials makes little to no difference in your air temp entering the intake. Of much more importance is the the air intake location itself and the use of some sort of heat shield.

GunMetal57 04-03-2010 11:53 PM

Thanks for the replies, so would u recomend a wheel well filter for a true
cold air so you are not pulling heat off the engine? I saw the ram air kits
but since i just bought a wilson 1911 my wife has limites
my funds

jamesb0 04-04-2010 08:40 AM

The 57 tube increases the air flow velocity by reducing the diameter from the filter down to the intake. The 77 is a constance diameter from the filter to the intake.