DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Newbie Checkin! (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New member w/ busted horse - 4wd locked up (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=50789)

mjhoekst 04-05-2010 01:25 AM

New member w/ busted horse - 4wd locked up

Have a 2001 2500 4X4 HD diesel, and was driving the other night through 1/2 inch of hail - stuck it in 4wd and kept driving. A few miles later, the hail had disappeared, road was still wet, and at about 63 mph going down hill heard a whine, grind, and thump. Took it out of 4wd immediately, then tried putting back in, but wouldn't engage. Pulled over and although (at a stop only) I can get it "into" both 4H and 4L, the truck won't move in either. When I press the accelerator at all, get grinds or thumps but something is obviously locked up. Truck works fine in 2H.

Gut tells me I fragged something in the transfer case, but could use some advice before I tear into things.

Thanks!

wermbang 04-05-2010 01:28 AM

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to welcome you to the site. I am sure someone here knows the answer though.

City Slicker 04-05-2010 01:28 AM

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here! I'll leave this one to the professionals on here. Sorry I'm not much help, but it's good you joined this forum, because there is a lot of other helpful folks on here.

iRESQu 04-05-2010 09:31 AM

Welcome and sorry to have met under these conditions. While we all could take stabs in the dark there truly are only a handful of professionals on this site that can give you the right advice. Please stick around and one of them are likely to chime in. Meanwhile, fill out your UserCP with the details of your truck so that our members will be equipped with everything needed to lead you right.
Thanks and see you around the Z.

BlueJet 04-05-2010 10:36 AM

Hello and welcome! :wavey:

Glad to have you here and I hope you enjoy the board!

300 Addict 04-05-2010 05:21 PM

Welcome to RamForumZ, from Ontario, Canada! Glad to have you join our family here! Enjoy the site!

hemiv8dodgeram1500 04-05-2010 07:16 PM

hello and welcome, any pics of your truck, your brave for driving it in hail i wouldnt do that :LOL: i cant help you with your problem i would thing maybe you were going to fast in 4wd but i wouldnt know, i am sure that someone will be able to help you

Toms Blue Ram 1500 04-07-2010 07:53 PM

Glad you joined us and welcome to the Z for Rams from Baltimore . If you could go to the top of the page to the User Cp and complete your profile that would be great . Helps us see what you have when your posting a question . Do you have any pictures of your truck ? Have you done any mods or have plans for mods in the future ? Any of your friends have Rams ? Tell them about us . We would love to have them . You will find this site is full of a lot of talented people . So if theres any question that you need answered , just shoot away . Talk to ya soon . Tom

mjhoekst 04-07-2010 10:06 PM

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the welcome. Had a number of replies but no help yet. Perhaps I posted in the wrong forum?

I'll try to get to filling in some of the profile info soon, but right now my priority is the issue with the truck. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin

CdnoilRAM 04-07-2010 11:28 PM

Welcome to the Z! I'll try my random stab in the dark... which is what I may get if i'm wrong :LOL: Best bet is to pull apart the transfer case to even begin diagnosing the problem. If it's free wheeling in 2HI then it's not a front diff problem. My best guess is a stripped gear or a seized bearing, but I'd have to see the TC's guts.